Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bunman9240 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 12:48 AM
    Claiming kids on taxes
    My wife and I are not together anymore and we have two kids that stay with her 4 nights a week and myslf 3 nights. She has not had a job at all for the year of 2008 and she said that she wants to claim the kids. Can she do this with no income??
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 01:14 AM
    If she has had no income at all then she cannot claim them. I'm assuming you are the children's financial provider. If so you should be able to claim them yourself as dependants.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bunman9240 View Post
    My wife and I are not together anymore and we have two kids that stay with her 4 nights a week and myslf 3 nights. She has not had a job at all for the year of 2008 and she said that she wants to claim the kids. Can she do this with no income??????????

What does your Separation Agreement say? Income or no income - and there are several threads going on about this - if the Agreement/Divorce says she claims them, she claims them unless the Court Order is changed whether it is or is not beneficial to her.

If this is just a question of no agreement, then it is by IRS guidelines.

This thread contains another thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...en-305476.html
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 07:12 AM

Only the custodial parent can claim the child. Child support does not count.
    Yes, if your ex has no income, then she will not get any benefit by claiming the child.

You can claim only when the custodial parent signs a release.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Child of separated or divorced parents
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 07:44 AM

You have to fall back to the child custody and/or parenting plan filed with the court.

The parent that has primary physcial custody always gets to claim unless the child custody agreement addresses the issue
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 10:24 AM
    All of the above information is good, but the bottom line here is to determine how to best use your children's dependency exemptions.

This requires cooperation between the ex-spouses!

So get together and work out a deal that is mutually beneficial to BOTH of you AND your children!

If you both agree on a deal, then you both can file and claim the children however you want to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming a kid on taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 children and have joint legal custody of them, is it legal to claim one of the kids with my taxes.

Claiming Dependents on Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

If I share joint custody of my daughter but I am her custodial parent, my ex husband payes $110.00 in child support weekly which also includes back support, 38% of childcare cost and 38% of any uncovered medical expenses then I am left with the balance. He has visitation rights on Wednesday's,...

Claiming taxes [ 3 Answers ]

My husband makes about 110,000 I make about 30,000 annually. I claim zero he claims one. We have three children under 7 yrs. Old. Should we continue to file the way we have been? We usually get about 8,000 back a yr. own a home, also he itemizes tools he may buy. Taxes pulled from his pay are...

Claiming taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim a person who doesn't have a social on my tazes

Not claiming a W2 on your taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I received roughly $780 in Unemployment Benefits. I was issued a "W2" for the amount I earned. However, after the W2 was printed, I received a court order to pay back all money I received on Unemployment. Would I have to claim this W2 on my taxes, even though I have to pay it back and...

View more questions Search