Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jordan1989 Posts: 48, Reputation: -1

Jan 24, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Taxes on Real Estate Sale
    How much tax would a person have to pay on a sale of real estate in a "flip"? For example, let's say I bought a foreclosure house for $50,000 cash (no mortgage), and put $25,000 into it for repair/renovation (for a total expense of $75,000), then sold the house for $125,000 a few months later. I would have a net profit of $50,000.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 07:51 AM

Aside from the tax, have you noticed what you typed ? You are buying a house for a flip, $50,000. And you say you are realising a profit of $50,000. You are getting the same out of it, that you put into it. That doesn't make sense.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 09:22 PM
    Tickle:

Check your math! He bought it for $50K, invested another $25K for repairs and renovation, then sold it for $125K.

That, in my book, is a $50K profit.

Jordan:

That is a short-term capital gain. Assuming you do NOT have offsetting capital losses, you will pay taxes on it at your marginal tax rate, probably 25%.
    Adam Jacobson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 10:46 PM
    Your short term capital gains could be up to 35%. Check with your accountant or contact me to refer you to one.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Actually, it could be as high as 47% if you factor in the state income tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Benificiaries VS. Executor, Real estate sale [ 4 Answers ]

All right... This is a little complicated so hang with me here... 3 years ago my wife's grandmother passed away. She had 6 children. The will stipulated that initially, although the estate were to go to 5 of the 6 siblings, the 6th (Uncle "A", let's call him), would be allowed to reside there...

1099-S Overstates Amount received for Real Estate Sale [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I in partnership with another individual sold a commercial property this past May. It was an investment that went sour. The property sold for $480k. Hubby and I received $63k, Partner received $53k, our Realtor got about $25k, not sure what was paid to attorney, about $16-18k went...

What taxes I will owe on real estate sale [ 2 Answers ]

I have a confusing problem. My family has recently sold property that was left to us. The property was only titled to an aunt, and one cousin. Everyone , even the aunt and cousin knew that the division of property was a 25% split, and then further divided into smaller %. Two families got 25%, ...

Real estate foreclosure sale [ 2 Answers ]

A home in my neighborhood has been vacant since January 2007, the owner had died. There are no known relatives. The lawn has been taken care of by the neighbors to keep the area looking nice. The house is still fully furnished car in garage and all. No one has been in the house except the...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

View more questions Search