Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandolin411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 03:14 AM
    What do I need to learn to be a Web Designer?
    I have been doing graphic design for the last 7 years or so as a hobby and have made a little money off doing freelance work. All of this has been in print and production; however, I now want to explore new vistas and move on to the web.

I'm looking for a comprehensive list of how to go about being a designer (not necessarily a programmer or webmaster - I do want to create, organize, and design the look of the sites but I don't want to have to encode everything nor be in charge of the daily monitoring after they are launched). So what software I should buy, what classes I should take, what books I should read, what kind of experience I should try to obtain?

So far this is the info I have gathered and the actions steps I've taken:

1. I need to know basic HTML -- I've taken an online course on basic HTML through New Horizons Computer Center, and I'm reading a good handbook on it as well. I'm going to start practicing on my own browser this weekend.

2. I need to know Dreamweaver. -- I am taking a non-credit course on this at a local college.

3. I need to know Flash. -- Hoping to take another non-credit course on this next semester.

4. I just bought Adobe CS4 Master Collection. I had CS2 but never upgraded to CS3 so I just skipped 3 and went for 4. I already know Illustrator, InDesign, and PhotoShop pretty well, but my only experience of working between these programs and the internet has been saving my Illustrator files in a way that I could post them on Facebook. Aside from that I have zero knowledge of how these programs would interact with web design.

Beyond that, I'm kind of stumped as to where to go from here. What else might I be missing?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2009, 06:57 AM

Sounds like you have the bases covered pretty well. Other things you might want to get into are Java, PHP, ASP.Net and similar.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 24, 2009, 10:17 AM

Along with HTML, I would get into some CSS. HTML puts things on the page, and CSS tells the browser what the things should look like (location, size, colors, and tons of other stuff).

Dreamweaver isn't really necessary, though it might help. If you learn HTML, you can basically do what dreamweaver does with text. Dreamweaver just makes the process go faster, because you can place things explicitly on the page. I'm not a big fan, because I like to tell everything exactly where to go, but some people really love it.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 07:27 AM

Hi,
    Must agree with the previous post; CSS is pretty much a necessity and Dreamweaver is an automated tool. You might what to look at FirstPage, also. Just another automated tool.
    It can possibly help with some of the other things as it has PHP options. A text editor might be Notepad++, which is open source and has spellcheckers in umpteen languages. It will automatically format for different extants when working with it. Has more options than anyone I know will ever need.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 26, 2009, 05:57 PM

As for Notepad++, I've heard good things. I haven't tried it. I use TextPad myself for my PHP coding, it doesn't pretty well with color coding and formatting.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 09:26 PM

Hi,
    Try iit, it wiil do CSS as separate sectiones that can be tried separatetely.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Zurvan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 08:23 AM

I'd highly recommend you do some research in to Usability. It's probably the most important thing when it comes to designing a good website, and too many designers ignore it in favour of something pretty or flashy.

Start with Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug.
    Artem Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Feb 1, 2009, 12:18 PM

CSS and PHP(+MySQL)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a grpahic designer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I am in the process of moving forward with several children's coloring books. I need a graphic designer to work with me. If you're interested, please respond. I'm looking to start asap. Thank you

How to use sharepoint designer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone Well the reason why I'm here today is because I'm trying to make a website but I was using different tool to create a pages but now I would like to lear how to use sharepoint designer is any one here can tell me how to use it please,please please

What to look for when trying to choose a designer? [ 2 Answers ]

From your prospective as a client what features/benefits would you look for when trying to choose a website designer? Thanks guys! Sorry Admin accidentally posted here...you can delete and i'll repost in questions area....

Textile designer? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you become one? Can a talented artist who's never gone to design school become one realistically? TIA

View more questions Search