Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muchiko19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 07:24 PM
    On H1B with H4 dependent spouse - Can I file spouse for exemption?
    HI Guys!

I am on H1b Visa and my husband got here in May 2008 as H4 dependent (meaning he can't work and is dependent upon my income)

What Tax form should I use?

Also I'm confuse with this personal exemption explanation I got from the IRS website:

Your Spouse's Exemption

Your spouse is never considered your dependent.

Joint return. On a joint return, you can claim one exemption for yourself and one for your spouse.

Separate return. If you file a separate return, you can claim the exemption for your spouse only if your spouse had no gross income, is not filing a return, and was not the dependent of another taxpayer. This is true even if the other taxpayer does not actually claim your spouse as a dependent. This is also true if your spouse is a nonresident alien.

Head of household. If you qualify for head of household filing status because you are considered unmarried, you can claim an exemption for your spouse if the conditions described in the preceding paragraph are satisfied.

----- so does that mean that even if he is my dependent I cannot file him as a dependent since it says that the SPOUSE can never be considered as a dependent? How can I file for his exemption then?

Please HELP!

Thanks in advance
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 07:01 AM

You can file joint return as residents. If your spouse does not have SSN, attach W7 (ITIN application for your spouse) with the tax return.
    weichoong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Hi I am going to join my wife in Texas on an H4 visa, as an Alien Resident. I can't work and don't intend to earn any income in the US. Do I still need to file a tax return?

Thank you.. Lam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse exemption in 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I qualify to file return under 1040 nr sice I dontsatisfy SPT test for 2007.I got married in dec 24th and my wife joined only in jan 6 to us.we both are from india.can I claim spouse exemption as per us india treaty ,since our marriage was in dec 24th 2007 ,even though my wife joined in jan 6...

Non resident spouse - Can I claim spouse exemption (1040 6b) [ 8 Answers ]

I am a resident alien with a non resident alien spouse who: (a) Moved to the US in August 2007 on H4, but left shortly afterwards to close ties in the foreign country (in preparation of permanent move in 2008) (b) Does not meet the substantial presence test in 2007 (c) has no US income during...

Tax Exemption for L2A working spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am on L1A visa and my spouse is on L2 (dependent visa). Let's say I process her L2 work authorization and she starts working (which gets her issued SSN) and our individual status per Substantial presence test works out as Resident Alien. My queries are as below - Can I claim the same...

Spouse as dependent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm filing as "married filing jointly". My wife doesn't have a job and did not earn anything for 2006. Aside from checking the exception for my wife (Form 1040 line 6b) , can I add her in the list of dependents (line 6c) ? Thank you very much.

View more questions Search