Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wunita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 10:11 AM
    3 wire phone cable
    I have 2 phones lines (cira 1955)that come in separately on a 3 wire(all black) twisted cable, only using 2 wires, to the interface, and then on to a jack, again using 2 of the 3 wires of the same type of cable, rather than the more common 4 wire cable consisting of red, green, yellow and black. Can this 3 wire cable support 2 lines, using one of the wires as a common for the 2 lines, in order to bring the 2 lines to an existing jack location? Thank You
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 08:56 AM

No - if I understand you correctly you already have two 3-wire cables to the NID - one for each line - and you then want to combine the two active pairs onto one 3-wire internal cable run to a 2-line jack? I think this could mess up the signaling on your line - it is true that one of the leads of each pair is considered a "ground," but if you bridge two of these togther on two different lines there may be enough of a voltage difference to cause current flow, which would most likely manifest itself as noise on the line. Also, the current flowing back to telco on the ground leads of each line would be unbalanced with the current flowing out, which could cause problems with how the telco equipment functions, particularly when both phone lines are off hook.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 10:45 AM

To add to ebaines info. 2 conductors are needed for each line, neither can go to ground or connect to each other. You can have line 1 on one jack and line 2 on other jack, may not be a problem if 1 is a Fax.
    alibarghi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 07:42 AM
    Hi
    Thank all you for best answers
    I will done it too
    May I problem with it?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
    No.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Earth wire cable sizing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , Im mike, 29 years old, I live in Mauritius. I would like to know how to size my eathing wire since my supply wire is 6 mm2. Thanks

Can I run a electrical line in the same conduit as phone and cable? [ 9 Answers ]

Aloha All, I built a little 8'x12' office that is approximately 185ft from my main house. I was planning on running a electric, phone, and cable line in an underground conduit from my house to the office. Can I just use 20A romex for the electrical line that will be tapped off an exterior...

Armored cable carry two sets of wire for two circuits? [ 27 Answers ]

Strange question. I opened up my fuse panel box to see which fuse was for what circuits as its really old and although it was labeled, it wasn't completely labeled. Fuse 1 and fuse 3 hots, go into the same armored cable it seems. And this isn't the neutral either, as the neutrals go to a bus bar....

Switching from cable to DSL phone lines [ 2 Answers ]

We will be switching this week from cable to DSL... My question is this... with the phone line coming into the house from the main outside box, can I hook a connector to that line alone, and connect to computer directly from that line, or do I need to connect that line to a inside wall box, and...

3-way switch with 2-wire cable [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a new house, and after painting, I've been replacing all the outlets and switches. As I was replacing a couple of 3-way switches, I saw that the previous owners used just 2-wire cable between the 3-way switches, using the bare ground as the traveller wire. This is obviously not...

View more questions Search