Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Jan 23, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Can I use an RJ45 splitter to run a PC and an XBox
    Hi,
    I have seen RJ45 splitters for sale on eBay. I am running a network and my son's bedroom has a PC in it and also he wants to go on Xbox Live. His PC is connected to the network router via RJ45 cable.
    My question is can I use one of these splitters to connect his Xbox to the web using a smaller cable, connected from his Xbox to the splitter? The description of the splitters and their function is not too clear as they are from Hong Kong.
    Has anyone on here used them before or know of someone who has?

Thanks.
    1stRankings Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2009, 09:32 AM
    No I would not suggest you use a RJ45 splitter, have seen others try that without success... I would suggest a ethernet switch such as the following:
    D-Link DES-1105 5-port Ethernet Switch
    1stRankings Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
    Part of my reply did not end up in the post... I also wanted to note, unlike a router the ethernet switch is a direct connection. All you have to do is plug in your ethernet cable and then a second cable going to your xbox... and you will be hooked up. Very simple approach...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 10:04 AM

Splitters are typically devices that take an 8 pin RJ45 wire that would normally uses pins 1,2,3, and 6 for < 100 base T and takes the unused pairs and places them on 1,2,3 and 6.

The other connection to a free port is done at the wiring closet.

The answer is no. You need a switch.
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Jan 23, 2009, 10:48 AM

Thank you to you both. I have just ordered one off Amazon. I am supprised that I could'nt order one off Ebay except from the US which worked out dearer for the shipping than the item cost.
    Kriyppler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about Because I am running my PC and Xbox 360 off 1 Ethernet cable split by an RJ45 Splitter. Although my Xbox 360 does disconnect of Xbox live quite often

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Log splitter [ 3 Answers ]

I have inherited a duerr log splitter from my father in law who is now in the nursing home with dementia and I would like to change the oil filter on it. I have the part # from manual which is #723-0405 filter element. The model # is 424/lcd/22 (249-623-003). Could you give me a number & name...

Which is usually the DSL internet port? RJ11 or RJ45 [ 1 Answers ]

Which is usually the DSL internet port? RJ11 or RJ45

RJ45 splitter for one PC at a time [ 20 Answers ]

I would like to split one port of my router to two different wall jacks in different parts of the house. This is so I can use my laptop to either location without having to visit the junction box to enable the jack I want to use. I am using an RJ45 passthrough splitter and thought this could...

Help with log splitter [ 4 Answers ]

I'm attempting to build a log splitter. I finally got it all assembled and it works great but seems very slow. I have a briggs 5 hp motor, Haldex 11 gpm pump, cross 2500 psi valve and a lion 4x24 cylinder. I think the problem is the pump. Although it is a 2 stage it starts on the first stage and...

View more questions Search