Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2009, 03:33 AM
    What type of activities should you list on your resume?
    I know better that to put that I like to go out with my friends but is there any good things that can be put down on our resume where you would pt your activities. This is ften on an application also and I never know what to put. Some of my activities include watching movies, going out to eat, being with my kids. I mean honestly I don't have much but I don't want it to seem like I'm a recluse because I am actually really social. Help please.:confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 04:12 AM

Hi, SaraKammeraad!

What kind of jobs are you going for and what sort of education and work experience do you already have, please?

Activities that you do day to day, aren't something that's normally listed on a resume. But, what you've done as far as your career is concerned as well as activities that are related to your career, are things that you would normally list on your resume.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 06:05 AM

If you have never worked, and have no job history, you explain your education. Fresh out of high school, you may show a few school activities, that make you well rounded, but after that, those go by the way side also.
    Convict Coach Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 11:37 AM
    It is actually asking about activities that are related to the job or volunteer activities that help others (i.e. giving your time). You should not mention social activities with friends or activities that will hint to age, race, disabilities, etc.

If you have nothing, begin to donate your time to some organizations to become more involved!

Good Luck!

Peace & Prosperity!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2009, 11:42 AM

Your activities list should point out accomplishments that relate to the job you are applying for.

You mentioned being with your kids. An accomplishment might read like:

Managed a household of four people. Stayed within budget and managed to save x dollars by judicious shopping.

Feb 9, 2009, 08:05 PM

Comments on this post
    Convict Coach disagrees: It depends on the job of course... if you are applying at a daycare! However, this may serve as a red flag to some employers! Children & calling out, unfortunately!

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

I said the same thing ythat you said, I just gave an example of how to creatively deal lack of work experience. How could you disagree?
    Convict Coach Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 10:03 PM
    I can disagree because... many people are weeded out of jobs because of their references about their families. Some hiring managers that are men and women without children see this and don't even bother interviewing you over someone who have not and does not mention children! Maybe you make it to an interview and then they bombard you with the "What if's ...about your children"... Not even thinking and loving to talk about our children you volunteer information that should not be discussed in an interview!

We are all giving opinions but I have worked with people without a high school diploma to someone with a PhD, with or without children, young and old and I have been on all sides and know that the best thing to do is to make sure that everything remain focused on what's important... are you qualified for the job.

Peace & Prosperity!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict Coach View Post
    I can disagree because...many people are weeded out of jobs because of their references about their families. Some hiring managers that are men and women without children see this and don't even bother interviewing you over someone who have not and does not mention children! Maybe you make it to an interview and then they bombard you with the "What if's ...about your children"...Not even thinking and loving to talk about our children you volunteer information that should not be discussed in an interview!

We are all giving opinions but I have worked with people without a high school diploma to someone with a PhD, with or without children, young and old and I have been on all sides and know that the best thing to do is to make sure that everything remain focused on what's important...are you qualified for the job.

Peace & Prosperity!
    Mine is more than an opinion. I interact with companies as I help people with their resumes. As I said to Scott in my rating, "Companies like to see something like that on the resume of a woman who has been a stay-at-home mom. It shows she used her talents no matter what the area and that she can think on her feet to list it on a resume."

The best thing to do is to show that you are qualified for the job because you are always aware of costs and savings and management, even as it applies to your own family.

Feb 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict Coach View Post
    I can disagree because...many people are weeded out of jobs because of their references about their families. Some hiring managers that are men and women without children see this and don't even bother interviewing you over someone who have not and does not mention children! Maybe you make it to an interview and then they bombard you with the "What if's ...about your children"...Not even thinking and loving to talk about our children you volunteer information that should not be discussed in an interview!

We are all giving opinions but I have worked with people without a high school diploma to someone with a PhD, with or without children, young and old and I have been on all sides and know that the best thing to do is to make sure that everything remain focused on what's important...are you qualified for the job.

Peace & Prosperity!
    Did you bother to read the link to the guidelines for using the Comments feature?

You are entitled to disagree with me, but NOT by using the Comments feature.

I do agree with you, that the resume should be focused on the job requirements. I would use the suggestion I made only if it was appropriate for the job. Maybe that person would be applying for an Office Manager job. Such experience would be appropriate for such a position.

This is what I was saying, we DON'T disagree, I'm saying pretty much the same thing you are. But the bottom line here is you used the Comments feature inappropriately. Please do not repeat that misuse in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unexplained activities [ 1 Answers ]

I should probably start by saying I consider myself to be a normal, well adjusted 50 year old man. I try to keep an open mind regarding things I don't understand but maintain a bit of skepticism when people make claims of paranormal activity. I found this site while I was doing an internet search...

Type I and Type II Errors (Statistics and Probability) [ 1 Answers ]

A researcher studying stress is interested in the blood pressure measurements of chief executive officers (CEOs) of major corporations. He believes that the mean systolic blood pressure, of CEOs of major corporations is less than mm Hg, which is the value reported in a possibly outdated journal...

Seizure activities [ 1 Answers ]

What are seizure activities?

Extracurricular activities [ 1 Answers ]

What should I say about extra curricular activities when filling out a job application form

View more questions Search