Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdaviscox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Selling Property When Both Owners are Deceased
    Both father and step-mother have been deceased for several years. Neither left a will. No step-siblings. They had land titled in both their names that I would like to sell. How do I go about getting it titled in my name? There is nothing owed on the land. I have paid taxes annually - nothing delinquent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2009, 07:28 PM

This is YOUR father? Who died first?
    gdaviscox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Father died first, step-mother died eight months later.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2009, 07:23 AM

Did the step mother have any relatives?

If the property was held jointly with right of survivorship, then the step mother became the sole owner on your father's death. Since SHE died intestate, then the rules of inheritance for your state apply. I don't know where a step son falls in the successsion, but I think its pretty far down. So you will have to find the legal owner of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I purchase a home by paying the back taxes when the owners are deceased [ 4 Answers ]

I want to purchase a home that has been abandon for years. The people that own the property are deceased and there is no other relative listed. How do I go about getting this property without forcing it up for shriff sale. p.s I will like to purchase the property by paing the back taxes off,if I...

Sell of deceased owners home [ 1 Answers ]

DECEASED homeowner property. I have power of attorney . Family wants to sell home now,but there is a unsecured loan on property. Can they seek payment after home is sold? Would I (power of attorney) be responsible to pay?

Deceased Owners-Deed Name Changes [ 6 Answers ]

My mother, older sister and brother-in-law were the names on the deed of the house that I currently live in. All three have now passed away. My brother-in-law left his interest in the house to his daughters and I am now in probate to be named executor of my mother's estate. How do my oldest niece...

Selling a car without co-owners signature [ 4 Answers ]

There was a loan on my car in my name only when I was married and my husbands name and mines is one the title. After the divorce I paid the car off and now want to sell it. However, my exhusband refuses to sign the title. Does this prevent me from selling the car. :confused:

Selling four owners disputes [ 1 Answers ]

We live in UK My father lives in a property which is registered as being owned by himself, me, my brother and sister. My father wants to sel the lease and divided the proceeds amongst us. My brother and I agree. Can my sister block the sale?

View more questions Search