Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    genuinetexan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Charges dismissed; do I reveal for employment purposes?
    This is my first time using this site and was hoping someone can help me with these questions:

1. At the age of 17, I was charged with three misdemeanor offenses in Texas:

- Assault
    - Driving while license suspension; and
    - Carrying a Weapon (stick)

2. Two months later, I turned 18 and was convicted of Assault and the rest were dismissed. I joined the military and served 22 years. Now, 23 years later, I am seeking employment and most companies want to know if I was ever convicted or arrested. What would I list down?

3. Also, both charges that were dismissed; Class A and Class B, can they be removed from my record? I would appreciate any legal assistance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Hello g:

If you tell the truth, you'll list your conviction. Most applications don't ask about arrests... Unless, of course, you're applying for a security position...

However, it would seem to me, that any employer worth working for, would clearly see, that a conviction over 20 years ago, followed by 22 years of faithful service, should NOT be used against you.

Yes, you might be dismissed from a few interviews... But, it's their loss.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had a dismissed case will this prevent me from employment [ 2 Answers ]

I got a theft by check charge about a year ago, but it was dismissed. Will this prevent me from passing a background check from an employer?

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

What will fingerprints reveal? For job appliication [ 3 Answers ]

I was written up for domestic abuse and no charges were filed. The I was convicted of misdemeanor disorderly conduct. I can have the charge reduced to an infraction. Would either of these show up on employment fingerprinting? I was written up for domestic abuse and no charges were filed. ...

Cheating wife? Text messages will reveal all [ 7 Answers ]

My wife and I have been going through a rocky patch for several months now. She has stated displaying some unusual behavior (going out a lot more, occasionally staying out for the night). When her mobile phone bill came in last month I had a shock to find it was £300. I rang some of the numbers on...

Can property damage charges be dismissed if landlord tries overcharging you? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a bill from an apartment complex I used to live in for $910.74 for carpet damages caused by a pet. the original bill they sent me stated they were charging $1060.74 against my $150 deposit due to Carpet charges: ($1586.67/60 ms (life of carpet) = 26.44x37 ms of life= $978.28) plus...

View more questions Search