Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cedhyphen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2006, 04:38 PM
    How much carpeting has to be down in an apt?
    Hi there- I know that in NY apartments have to have area rugs covering at least 75% of the floors.

Is there a law similar to that here in MA? My neighbors above me ripped up their carpet and put down linoleum(SOOO LOUD), which they weren't supposed to do because we rent. I want to go to my landlord with some sort of ammunition. Let me know what you know. Thanks!
    brooks Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2006, 04:43 PM
    If they have removed that carpet without the landlords permission, then the landlord will deduct the depreciated cost of the carpet from their security deposit. I am assuming they don't have permission from the LL.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2006, 04:50 PM
    Brooks, that is NOT what cedhyphen asked.

cedhyphen asked if there was any LAW in MA similar to the NY law.

cedhyphen , check out http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/landlord.html for MA laws about Landlord and Tenant relationships and responsibilities.

This is just one website I found on a quick search. I am sure there might be others out there as well.

Aug 2, 2006, 04:59 PM
    I guess it could be read differently, I thought cedhyphen was not too happy with the neighbor and wanted to rat her/him out.
    cedhyphen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Thanks! I am looking to see if there is a law so I will check out that website, not because I want to "rat" them out, but because I want them to put down some rugs so I don't have to hear them, their teenage children and grandparents banging around all day.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 09:11 PM
    If you don't find anything in the MA laws, contact your town hall and speak to the Dept. of Health. There may be some municipal law that requires some type of floor covering in multi-unit buildings. If the Dept. of Health doesn't have that info then ask for the Dept. of Code Enforcement.

Aug 2, 2006, 10:30 PM
    Suddenly, ratting them out is not such a bad idea. Who knows he may get pissed off enough to evict. ;)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 02:46 AM
    Here is where you will find the applicable MA law:

General Laws of Massachusetts, Part 2, Title 1, Chapters 183-189

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carpeting Question [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my basement and want to know the proper way of doing the baseboards.Do I put the baseboards on before or after the carpet goes down?I want to do a wainscotting on the bottom half of the walls with a 4 or 6 in. baseboard.I was going to leave a gap under the baseboard...

View more questions Search