Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Bunny Rabbit
    Hello, as some of you know my rabbit became unfriendly a while back... she is not pregnant. But she goes through times where she is simply Just rude! She is maybe 5 pounds... she hid behind our couch nad when my little brother walked by attacked him! She gets treats he runs around everythign and she is still grumpy? What could cause this
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 01:32 PM

Hi Emily... Rabbits do develop their own personality, some of them are very protective and like to be made a fuss of on a daily basis.

If... you the owner does something that she doesn't like, they will sometimes sulk, totally ignoring you until they are ready to let you in again.

I suspect that she attacked your brother because he was invading her space, rabbits can be very territorial and it seems that your brother just strayed into it.

I think you should introduce your brother by means of the occasional treat, she will then see your brother and associate him with nice things for her... only let your brother give the treats for a while and not yourself,eventually she will accept him... give it a go

Goodluck
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 02:16 PM

It's not only him she attack (that was just the most recent one), she isa great bunny when you finally catch her and calm her down. We feel bad leaving her caged all day so she runs around the house she is a great rabbit - does not go to the bathroom on the floor or stuff like that. We think she is bored but we cannot find what makes her happy!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 06:18 PM

Have you considered getting another rabbit? Rabbits are social animals, if she isn't getting enough time with you she's probably lonely and bored. Think of getting another rabbit, most times a rescue from the shelter comes spayed or neutered and is much cheaper than buying a rabbit for the pet store.

If this is what you decided to do, let me know and I can tell you how to bond them.

Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 06:45 PM

Well, were a little low on money... won't get into detail why, but she eats A lot, and if I was to get another one and it just so happens it eats just as much it would be a lot of money with food (she eats at least $30 dollars a week no including treats)... but I am thinking about it. The rescue around here has one bunny, and they are guessing it is about 5. I would rather get another female that it young so I can enjoy it for much longer. But it might help if you pointed out what to look for in a second bunny... also what kind of bunny would be the easiest for her to get along with?
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 07:26 PM

What kind of bunny is she? Is she spayed? How old is she?

$30/week? Wow, I have 4 bunnies, they don't go through that much food in two weeks.

What kind of food are you feeding her? Are you give her timothy hay?
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 08:00 PM

She won't eat timothy hay(she uses it as littter), and she gets food from the vets office(it is quiet expensive but it helps with stones and what not), she isn't spayed... and she is a mini rex or something like that, and she is a little under a year 7-8 months.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 10:08 PM

She won't eat timothy hay? Wow, I've never heard of a rabbit that won't eat timothy hay.

As for the pet food, there's food in walmart that's just as good, if not better, than the stuff the vet sells. It's "Harz" Pet rabbit diet, very inexpensive and very healthy, it even has dried cubed timothy hay in it.

Timothy hay is very important for their digestive system, it's a must.

Also, carrots and lettuce once in a while is also a must.

If you want your rabbit to live longer than getting her spayed is very imortant. The majority of female rabbits that aren't spayed live around 3 years, whereas a spayed rabbit can live up to 12 depending on the breed. Getting her spayed will also calm her down. A lot of the aggression you're seeing is probably because she isn't spayed.

Rex's are very calm very easily tamed rabbits, so once she's spayed you shouldn't have too many problems.

If you have any more questions let me know. :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 06:16 PM

Um yah she just won't eat timothy hay.. we ried not letting her have her pellets just timothy hay and she still wouldn't eat it.
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 06:19 PM

That's really odd. I've never ever had a rabbit or heard of a rabbit that won't eat timothy hay. The timothy hay helps them digest their food, without it they can suffer from stomach problems, diarrhea and other medical conditions.

Check your rabbit food, hopefully there's timothy cubes in it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 07:43 PM

It is timothy hay,were most are alfalfa.
    Pets Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 08:53 PM

Well at least he's getting some timothy hay, that's good.

The food I buy at Walmart also has timmy hay cubes in it and it's a lot cheaper. Like I said, I have 4 bunnies, and it doesn't cost me nearly as much as your 1 is costing you. Food that vets sell are always overpriced, otherwise they wouldn't make a profit because most people buy their food at pet stores or grocery stores where the price is reasonable. Yes, the food is good at the vets, but not necessarily better than somewhere else for a fraction of the price.

Really, getting your rabbit fixed will go a long way in calming her down and making her friendlier.
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 02:29 PM

Um so, my sister brought home a little puppy and it and my rabbit play... the ppuppy is not aggressive at all towards the dog, but is towards people? Just going to ask... if I was to get another bunny would she still be aggressive to me??
    Pets Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 03:59 PM

Most likely she will be aggressive until she's fixed. Also, I wouldn't advise getting another bunny until your bunny is fixed, and I'd alter the new bunny as well.

Unfixed bunny's are aggressive that's just he way it is. You can't train them to stop their hormones from causing aggression. If you do get her fixed I guarantee you'll have a very different bunny, more calm, less aggressive, overall more friendly and lovable.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 11:13 AM

Usually how much is it to get a female rabbit fixed?
    krazymagz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 11:35 AM

You know... animals have their own personalitys.. I had 4 rabbits at one time and 2 of them were sweet and the other 2 were just plain NAUGHTY BUNNIES!! It's how all animals and people are... all you can do is keep loving her for her..
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    usually how much is it to get a female rabbit fixed?
    It depends on the vet. I live in Canada. To get my male rabbit neutered cost almost $300.00 but that was with blood tests beforehand, the cone, and then a different device because the cone didn't work for him and follow up checkups. Keep in mind that rabbits are considered an exotic pet, you may have to shop around for a vet because not all vets have the knowledge to spay/neuter your pet.

You may want to try calling your local humane society, some of them do outside spay and neuters at a great savings to you.
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krazymagz View Post
    You know...animals have their own personalitys..I had 4 rabbits at one time and 2 of them were sweet and the other 2 were just plain NAUGHTY BUNNIES!!! It's how all animals and people are...all you can do is keep loving her for her..
    Yes they do all have their onw personalities, but spaying and neutering does calm them down a lot.

My bunny cotton was the only rabbit we got unaltered, the rest are rescues and were altered before we adopted them.

Cotton was 4 weeks old when we got him, a loveable, calm, sweet little bunny. At 6 months of age he started biting, spraying, being very aggressive. We got him neutered and now he is once again the sweet little guy we first adopted. Unaltered rabbits are just more aggressive, that's a fact. Also, an unaltered rabbit's lifespan is much shorter. For an unspayed female you're looking at 3 years, if spayed, depending on the breed and living conditions, they can live for up to 12 years. That's a big difference!
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 12:08 PM

OK, well my dog has to o for blood tests on Friday, I'll ask then if they do, or where I can get it done. Looks like I'm going to have to get some money:P
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    ok, well my dog has to o for blood tests on friday, i'll ask then if they do, or where i can get it done. Looks like im going to have to get some money:P
    Do try calling the humane society. I did when I got my rabbit fixed, but they wouldn't do outside spays and neuters at that time because they had to many in house pets at the time.

If the humane society does it it could cut the costs in half.

Let me know how it goes and good luck with your bunny. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter wants a bunny [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to do some research on bunnies. Any help would be great. My daughter is 10 and would be the main care giver for a bunny. What types of things to they play with how often does the cage or surroundings need to be cleaned. How big of a cage or area do we need? Are there any specific types...

BuNnY vs ants [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 bunnies! They'r really cute, and I lovvve them.. just that theyrs a problem... my house has tons of ants that have made they'r way into the house! I want to fog the place (again) but, now that I have the bunnies, I don't know if they'll die with the poison!! WhaT do I Do?

Outside bunny Problem [ 1 Answers ]

My rabbit lives in my garage, he seems very happy but I do have one problem. My garage is not heated, when it gets very cold I bring him in the house until the cold snap lets up a bit, the problem is I can not keep his water from freezing. Anybody have any ideas?

Bunny won't get out his box [ 3 Answers ]

Ive just got my bunny from the RSPCA and he's absolutely lovely and he's eating and washing and drinking and all the usual stuff but he won't step foot outside his litter box in my kitchen unless I take him out (which I've only done once because I had to clean his box out) It seems wherever you put...

Bunny won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a bunny at this fair yesterday. The lady that gave me her said that if she didn't get rid of her bunnys that she was going to kill them. So she gave me one now I have this animal I know anothing about want to learn more.. I have not noticed her eat or drink at all.. she was man handled...

View more questions Search