Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arleciaa Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
    2nd phone line won't ring into house suggestion
    Got 2nd line into the house. I only need it to work in bedroom #2, but the main line still rings into the bedroom. The line is active but not into the house. Can you instruct me how to rewire 2nd line to ring independently into the house into room #2. Thanks in advance.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 23, 2009, 02:37 PM

Do you know if the line that is connected to room #2 goes out into the phone box, usually found on the side of the house?

Generally in newer houses, the phone jacks are all wired to a location in the basement, and then from there, they connect to a single line that goes out into the phone company's box.

In older houses, the wiring goes basically wherever it could go.

You need to find out where the wire leading to room #2 goes, and it needs to be connected to the phone company's box on the side of the house. The numbers should be labeled in the box. Usually there is a Phone Company side, which you need a special tool to open, and then Customer side, which you can open with a screwdriver. You shuold find what you need in the customer side.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 07:05 AM

If wiring is red, green, yellow and black.
    Red and green is usually line 1, yellow black is usually line 2.
    Red and green hook to line 1 terminals, yellow and black hook to line 2 terminals on outside box.
    The jack you need line 2 to, needs to have the yellow wire to the phone jack red, and the black wire to the phone jack green.
    If it doesn't work, yellow and black wires may not be connected together in your other phone jacks.
    It could be as simple as plugging in a plug in splitter that has
    L1, L2, and L1 + L2. Just plug into L2.

Jan 27, 2009, 01:37 PM
    More 2nd line questions
    Hi thanks for the responses for the 2nd line question. I really didn't understand the answers. I called the phone company and they say that the line checks out from the outside. They told me to take my phone and plug it into the 2nd line jack outside and it gets a connection. Now how do I get the phone to work (2nd line) inside the house. I notice that from the outside the yellow and black wires are not connected to anything. The guy from the phone company said that they would send someone out to tie down the lines to make it work on the inside lines. Would someone please help me. I really don't have the 180.00 they want to send out someone. Give me the steps and I'm confident I can do it. Thanks. PS the inside wiring for the 2nd line doesnot get a dial tone. I have unplugged the green and red wires from this line. Only yellow and black are plugs in. Oh yeah there is also a white/orange and a peach colored wires that are paired with the yellow an black wires.
    Thanks soooooooooooo much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2009, 01:50 PM

First, please don't start a new thread for a follow-up. Instead, use the Answer This Question options. I've merged the two threads for you.

The problem here is you need to isolate the line going from where the 2nd line enters the house to Room #2.

Some questions that may help us help you. Is the second line going to be the only one in room 2? If not, will you have a two line phone in there or separate phones?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 01:53 PM

Scott, you moved the threaqd while I was answering. Grrr!

A picture would be nice. You can post one using "Go Advanced/Manage attachments".

So, what you should have two sets of red and green terminals. One connected to red and green, which is the working line and nothing connected to the second line.

You need to connect Blk (Inside) to the Red terminal in the NID and the Yellow (Inside) to the Red terminal in the NID.

That will put the second line on the Yel/Blk pairs and if everything is connected properly, then the second line should be available everywhere inside the house.

A two line phone would work fine.

If it is not a 2-line phone application, then you either must make the connection in the jack (not recommended) or use a L1, L2, L1+L2 adapter in the jack and connect a standard phone to L2.

Jan 27, 2009, 02:45 PM

YES THE 2ND LINE will be the only line in room 2.

Jan 27, 2009, 02:50 PM

Is there already a jack in the room? Like I said you need to isolate that line at the terminal point where the lines enter the house. Once you can do that, you will need to connect the red and green wires from that line to either the red and green from the terminal.

Jan 27, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Yes there is a jack already in the room. It was wired as follows.
    Yellow wire + white and orange wire on the same screw.
    Black wire + orange wire on the same screw.

Red wire + light blue wire on the same screw
    Green wire + white and blue wire on the same screw.

Inside the house I unpluged the red and green from the 2nd line in the house and just kept the yellow black combination connected.

Should I not have done that?

Jan 27, 2009, 03:19 PM

Are there wires going into and out of the jack or are the red/green/yellow/black attached to the jack?

Phone jacks can be daisy chained. So you need to determine which wires are coming from the terminal.

To activate a phone line you only need the red and green from the terminal. To create a 2-line jack the red and green from line 1 are connected to the red and green on the jack and the red and green from line 2 are connected to the yellow and black on the jack.

But since you only want a single phone on line 2, then you need to connect the red and green from line to to the red and green terminals on the jack.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 27, 2009, 03:20 PM

It's really hard to say without know a little bit more about your setup.

Take a screwdriver outside, and on the phone company's box, there should be a customer access side. Open it up, and tell us what you see. Hopefully they labeled each line, but what we want to know more is about the wires. There should be 2 sets of plugs that have wires on them, so 4 plugs total that have wires running off them. Generally the top one is the first line, and we would expect that to have blue-whiteblue AND/OR red-green. If it's different, what's connected to the top? And what is connected to the other line?
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 03:23 PM

Yellow and black and black and red CANNOT be on the same screw. Those screws usually have labels like R G B Y or they are color coded and are 110 punch down terminals.

Again, we have to visualize the picture and can't.

R and G will be the active terminals at the jack if you want line 2 to work as a standard phone.

The Red or yellow and Green and Black are generally the same, but for different lines.

e.g. RED to red or yellow or Y
    Green to Green or black or B

I'm leaving the striped wires out of it for now.

If all your lines terminate at the NID, then either isolate the yellow and black wires and just connect them to the Read and green terminals at the NID.

Then connect the Yellow to the R terminal and the Black to the G terminal in the room jack.

If this were DSL, I'd go a single wire. If it were a standard phone, I'd make L1 and L2 available everywhere and select the line with the adapter.

If this was going to a DSL modem, then I'd use the highest pair for the DSL line.

The point is, that R(Red) and G(Green) will be connected at the end points.

The conventions say that R(Red) is either connected by a red wire or a yellow wire. And B(Black) is connected by a black wire or a green wire. The active pairs are red/green and yellow/black. This means that a phone will work when connected to red and green or yellow and black.

Some phones are polarity sensitive. It makes sense to observe the correct polarity.

Jan 27, 2009, 03:40 PM
    Not sure of what you're asking me. As I look at the jack itself I see red/green/yellow/black wires coming out of the jack with an end on each color that is then attached to a separate screw.

Are you saying that I need to take the yellow and black wires and detach them from the screws and in their place connect the red and green wires there?

Is there anything I need to do outside in the box
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 04:09 PM

"You need to connect Blk (Inside) to the Red terminal in the NID and the Yellow (Inside) to the Red terminal in the NID". KISS
    I think meant to say Black to green terminal.
    In twisted pairs white/orange to black and orange white to yellow. Yours appears reversed polarity, if both ends are reversed, polarity will be correct.

Feb 2, 2009, 02:02 PM

OK what do I need to do to the outside box. I tested the line by plugging a phone into the phone company box. I can hear a dialtone and I can also make calls. In the outside box I see 4 screws. Top 2 screws I see the left screw has a white/organe wire on it and on the right screw I see a solid orange wire on that screw. The other 2 screws don't have anything attached to them. Then sort of like between the last 2 screws.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 02:13 PM

So, this means you can plug a phone into the two test jacks and make calls.

One set of wires (likely blue/wht and wht/blue) are going to one set of red/green screws. Correct? What are the colors of the wires and the screw color.

Since the other pair of red/green scres are going nowhere, this is why your line won't ring.

Now the question: Can you identify a cable going to the room you need that line to ring in or are all cables to each jack terminated on the working red/grn screws?

Feb 2, 2009, 03:11 PM

I can only plug one phone into a jack outside that has the phone plug with another plug in it. I have to remove that plug first then plug the actual phone to it then I can call out on the phone from outside.

I do see the blue/white and blue wires they are covered with a grey little box.

How do I know which screw is for red and which is for green. I do see a little label between the last 2 screws left side is green right side is red.

Yes I can I think I see a yellow wire and a black wire not plugged to anything. I also see that there is a white/ orange wire on the left top screw and an orange wire on the right to screw.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 07:06 PM

That grey cover may flip to one of the smaller sides exposing another test jack. It could be the new type that does not have the jumper, but still disconnects the inside wiring.

Can you post a photo of your NID? Use Go advanced/manage attachments.

If you have to re-size an image use IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up new phone line to main phone box [ 0 Answers ]

I am hooking up a new phone jack into the "main phone line box" in my basement... need help... I will try to explain as clearly as possible... hope not to confuse everyone. General info that may be useful in answering my question: I currently have cabletelevision phone service modem etc... I...

Changing disconnected phone line to same number as phone line that is active [ 3 Answers ]

If you can help I will vote for you... for any office... state or government! We have two separate phone lines. One for one room and one for another. One of the lines was cut off at our request by the phone company. We want to make the disconnected line active again and work on the same number...

How do I eliminate/rewire my DSL/Fax line to home phone line? [ 1 Answers ]

Line 1 is a Verizon DSL/dedicated fax line in my office. Line 2 is my home phone. It would cost $95 for Verizon to come to my home for approx. 10 minutes or less to rewire the DSL/Fax so I can eliminate the extra (fax) line. Do I rewire through the NI box on the outside of my home? Any phone...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

View more questions Search