Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindbeach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Cosigning a loan under medical care
    My father cosigned a loan for my niece while he was under medical care and chemotherapy. She basically took advantage of him and now she has not paid the loan since it became due 3 months ago and my father is receiving overdue notices and will have his credit jeopardized. Is there a way they can put this loan back on to my niece. She is working and making money, but just chooses not to pay.
    Thank you
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 10:43 AM

If your father is competent, he needs to make his niece tend to her business. He should send her a letter and explain his expectations of her future conduct.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 06:58 PM

Also as a cosigner they would have to get a judgement against her before they could come after him for non-payment. Are they taking her to court ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2009, 07:04 PM

I have to disagree with califdad here. A co-signer is equally responsible for a loan. The lender can go after the cosigner without having to obtain a judgement against the niece.

Dad has two options here. He can either sue that he was not competent to enter into a loan and try to negate the contract.

Or he can protect his credit by making payments on the loan and then suing the niece for the amount he has to pay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 07:34 PM

Yes, dad will have to pay to protect his credit and then sue her.

They can sue both and get a judgement against both but his credit will be ruined long before that if it is not paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Care in North Dakota [ 2 Answers ]

Medical Care in North Dakota .A doctor in Bismarck wanted to get off work and go hunting, so he approached his assistant. 'Ole, I am goin huntin' tomorrow and don't want to close the clinic. I want you to take care of the clinic and take . care of all my patients'. 'Yes, sir!' answers...

US Health Care Problems and Medical Tourism? [ 24 Answers ]

I'm very curious about others outlook on this subject. Health care in the US is a big problem and the majority of the Population go without because it's not affordable or they have pre existing illnesses and are turned down by insurance companies. Has anyone heard pro/cons about medical...

Cosigning a car [ 4 Answers ]

When I cosigning for a car, will I have a problem when I go for a mortgage?

Loan for Medical Technology Student [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is a student at Detroit Medical Center School of Medical Technology. She has been trying to get a loan to cover the costs of living associated with this and has been unsuccessful. The main problem she is not actually enrolled at any university or college. Detroit Medical Center is not...

View more questions Search