Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    333cxj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 07:38 AM
    How to wire Dual Blue Cold Cathode Light Kit to a wall plug?
    Sorry, here is the picture of the product and spec. Thanks

How do I wire a Dual Blue Cold Cathode Light Kit that is made for computers, to just "simply" plug directly to a wall outlet? What materials do I need and how?

How to wire from the computer connection to the ac plug?

Product Description:

"Cold Cathode lighting is the most commonly used form of case lighting on the market. Advancing on the standard 12V neon, cold cathode lamps operate by use on a power inverter, which converts the standard 12V input to hundreds of volts of power. This is done by minimizing the amperage, via the inverter unit (included with the kit). The end effect is an intensely bright and thin tube, the most popular form of lighting today.

Our kit is fine tuned to push out as much brightness as possible, while still keeping the best lifespan to brightness ratios. We have tuned our kits to operate for up to 30,000 hours of burn time, while still competing with the brightest tubes on the market.

This kit includes everything you need for a complete lighting solution. We include a Molex connector with power splitter, boxed inverter, and 2 acrylic encased cold cathodes.

The cold cathode mounts easily via adhesive square attached to the end of the tubes.

Specifications
    Length: 12.25 inches
    Average Current Damand +/- 3.7w
    Encased in a 100% acrylic shell for proper light distribution
    Encased inverter for safety
    Dual light capability
    Huge Lifespan"
    Attached Images

WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 09:17 AM

Disclaimer: This could be considered dangerous. Proceed at your own risk!

You need a source of 12 volt power. The easiest thing to do is to find a wall-mounted unit (something like this).

To calculate the required capacity of the power supply, you use the formula:
    P=I*E (P=watts, I=amps, E=volts).

In this case P=3.7 (call it 4) and E=12, thus
    I=12/4 or about .333 amps (or 333 mA)

You should always add a safety factor, so round up to 500mA for your power supply.

Next, I'd cut the 2-wire cable that goes to the little box--leaving as much wire as you can. Strip the wires and hook the red one to the positive (+) wire from the power supply and the black one to the negative (-) wire from the power supply. Hint: Use a voltmeter to make sure you know which power supply wire is + and which is -. If you can, solder the respective wires together. Then tape each wire securely with electrical tape individually, and tape the pair of wires together with more electrical tape. That should do it.

Safety note: There will be high voltage (several hundreds of volts) coming out of the little box (from the description: "Encased inverter for safety"), so keep these wires away from each other and from combustible items. And also your fingers :p
    I cannot accept responsibility for anything that goes wrong here!

Hope this helps,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Blue Cold Cathode Light Kit [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How do I wire a Dual Blue Cold Cathode Light Kit that is made for computers, to just "simply" plug directly to a wall outlet? What materials do I need and how? Here is a website that shows the product I am...

Dual Blue Cold Cathode Light wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire a Dual Blue Cold Cathode Light Kit that is made for computers, to just "simply" plug directly to a wall outlet. Here is a website that shows the product I am talking about. 12in Dual Blue Cold Cathode Kit. I am not using the light for a computer system. Thanks for your...

Wiring for DUAL wall switch to control Ceiling Fan and Light Separately [ 20 Answers ]

Greetings. I recently bought a new ceiling fan and light kit to replace one that had been in my sun porch for over 20 years. A dual wall switch was always used to control the light and fan separately on the older fan. The fan speeds were controlled by pull chain. Before I took the old fan down, I...

Ceiling Fan/Light Dual wall control issue (I think) [ 4 Answers ]

I tried to change the dual control switch on my ceiling fan with light to one that had a remote transmitter that was installed in the ceiling... I could not get it to work; so, I just replaced it as it had been. (Or so I thought!) Now, the light works but the fan does not. I must have done...

How to install a fan with light using a wall plug [ 3 Answers ]

I got a fan with light and some one told me to use a swag kit and install it like a lamp because I am renting my home so I did but the lights don't work and the fan does How do I fix it

View more questions Search