Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    porphyriax Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 06:11 AM
    Installing fiberglass duct board?
    I have about 36" of metal air duct missing in my basement. There's metal air duct coming from the supply then a missing section, then a 45 degree elbow and a metal run going up to a room. I have a few questions about replacing it.

1.) Can I use fiberglass duct board to replace it? Is it OK to use fiberglass duct board and metal in the same run? Where can I get this stuff? Lowe's and Home depot don't carry it.
    2.) If so how do I attach them, does it still use screws or is the board light enough that aluminum tape will work?
    3.) What tools do I need to work with fiberglass duct board? What are they called, or where can I find them?
    4.) If I have to use metal, what tools do I need for that? Is there any special crimper or anythign for the ends?

Thanks,
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 06:19 AM

There are a couple of tools for making a square duct, I found a site that will pre cut everything then send to you, you only need to apply metal duct tape.
    Will see if I can find.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 06:21 AM

Here are the tools, shop for best price.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MALCO-FASGROOV-4...3A1%7C294%3A50

And this:

http://www.jm.com/insulation/technic...micro-aire.pdf

http://www.amcraftinc.com/amcraft/page1.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a heat duct in existing basement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I need tips to install a 6x10 heat duct in a wall. I have installed a wood burner and want to vent one of the heat runs into a large family room. The family room side is finished, the back of the wall is in my mechanical room and unfinished.

Installing hand-held shower on fiberglass shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing onto a fiberglass shower a rain fall shower system that has a separate hand-held shower head. The two options to install are using a suction bracket or using the bracket with a screw. Can I drill into the fiberglass to use an anchor and screw? Thanks very much. Cheryl

Installing Fiberglass Entry Doors [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting some new pre-hung fiberglass doors. I was told (by my brother) that I can’t use storm doors with fiberglass (or metal) doors. It turns into a greenhouse, and stuff then warps, including the parts of the storm door itself. Is that true? Thanks, Brian

Installing Duct Blower - wiring [ 8 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house (30 years old) and the previous owner had an addition (sun room) on the back of the house. It looks nice, but not well heated (not sure about cooling yet, but assume as bad). There are two registers in the room, but it is a long run from the main HVAC shaft to the...

Installing a drain in a fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a fiberglass shower unit in a new basement bathroom, but am somewhat stumped regarding how to attach the drain to the shower and then to the PVC pipe. The floor is concrete and I have 2” PVC rough in for the shower. Once I cut the PVC to the correct height, and...

View more questions Search