Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bratgurl1army Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 10:55 PM
    Dying After Bleaching
    The day after x-mas I got a lot of bleached highlights. I decided now that I want to dye my hair auburn. I used the new perfect 10 stuff and it faded in 3 washes (I looked it up and many people said their perfect 10 did that too) then today I tried revlon light auburn and it was supposed to be a nice dark color and it ended up almost the same color that it was before alomost seemed lighter. I'm going to try again tomorrow what do I need to do.
    hellothere1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Jan 22, 2009, 07:43 AM

From experience.. my hair is messed up now because after christmas I bleached it a lot and hated it so tryd dying it brown again and it just faded a lot. Your better off getting a darker colour though because as it fades it will only fade to a medium brown. I would recommend not dying it again for a while to let all the natural stuff back in your hair. I know you probbaly don't want to hear that I never did, but now the state of my hair is awful and I wish I had listened! If your adament though get a dark brown colour and an auburn colour for backup. Make sure you get shampoos and conditioners for brown hair and dyed hair :)
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 22, 2009, 08:25 AM

It appears that your hair may be too porous to hold color.

When you try to dye bleached hair, you'll run into a trouble with the color turning greenish. The reason for this is that when the chemists formulated the color, they anticipated it would be used on uncolored (virgin) brown hair that had reacted with hydrogen peroxide. This leaves a lot of red and/or orange in the hair. They add a lot of green to counteract the orange and red.

When you bleach hair, you bleach out the red and orange undertones. When you dye the hair with a brown color, the excessive green shows through and you have greenish hair. This is not what most people want. You have to add some red to the dye to counteract the green. Some stylists call this "filling" the hair.

Ask about it here: Bottle Blondes Board There are a lot of people there who've done what you've done and they'll give you some tips.

By the way, you would probably do better simply to let the highlights fade.
    EricaVonGore Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 09:31 PM

Try Goldwell Colorance. I put it in my hair that hasn't been chemically treated and it hasn't washed out in over 4 months. Also, it makes your hair soft and shiny. But if that fails then use a permanent colour.
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jan 26, 2009, 08:46 PM

Your color will wash out where you have bleached it because the process of bleaching damages the cortex , keeping it from "holding" the color in. Firstly, use a semi permanent color . There are 2 reasons for this. #1 It is going to fade no matter what you do. #2 Semi permanent color isn't damaging to your hair. So, find a semi that you like and freshen it up as often as you need to to keep the color you want. Also, using a reconstructing conditioning treatment will help to rebuuild a restructurize your hair over time, so that it will hold color better in the future. I am a Master colorist and run into this all the time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lip bleaching [ 3 Answers ]

There was someone that asked a question about bleaching gel for the lips. I too would like to bleach my lips. After my son was born, the hormones changed my lips color from medium rosy to a deep purply color. Not bad but lipstick just doesn't look good on me. Does anyone know of a product hat...

Dying hair after bleaching [ 1 Answers ]

I have just dyed my hair with a bleaching kit and it has gone a terrible shade of ginger in some parts. My hair colour is naturally brown and I would like to dye it back to a brown shade, would I be able to do this with out my hair going green?

Bleaching/Dying Hair [ 5 Answers ]

Bleaching my hair out it's faded from black and it's like brown underneath from where it was red. Anyway bleaching it out to blonde, any tips me and my friend are doing it on our own. Oh an I plan on put black underneath and purple streaks in the blonde so how long should I wait after bleaching to...

Bleaching and Dying [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: a few months ago I've bleached my hair blonde and it looks ugly there were random patches of blonde a friend had bleached my hair. I've redyed it black a few times and dark brown. Now my hair is darkbrownish black I was wondering if I could dye/bleach my whole head dark blonde without...

Bleaching? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to dye parts of my hair either blue or purple. Since my hair is virgin, (and dark brown) how should I do this? Is there a good product to use since I'm doing this at home? Please... any suggestions!

View more questions Search