Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doctorsorders Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
    Switches at end of GFCI circuit
    I have a GFCI circuit in a garage (drywalled and well kept), at the far end of this circuit someone has run a switch leg from the second to last plug in the circuit to power an interior light in a small room attached to the garage. When the breaker is switched on the GFCI trips, is there a way to make a switch work and not trip the GFCI when the circuit is energized. I am trying to avoid running a lighting circuit back to the panel.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 22, 2009, 06:47 AM

The switxhed box should be wired BEFORE the GFCI outlet. It is kind of defeative to do this though. The GFCI circuit is there for a reason. I personally would not "double up" on a line that was being protected. It defeats the purpose.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 05:51 AM

If you switch a light from the load side, then the neutral for the light MUST also be on the load side.
    Then the light will also be protected.
    Or both from the line side.
    korbierg Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 05:58 AM

If your GFCI is tripping when the light switch is turned on, you have an "issue" with the wiring.
    If circuit is wired properly even under the scenario you describe when the light switch is turned on the breaker should not trip.
    Before you install another circuit figure out the problem.
    Most likely it is a short somewhere in wiring (a nail puncturing a wire, the light improperly wired, a neutral wire hitting the ground etc, etc)
    Be careful though, since the GFCI is tripping there IS a problem. Finding the problem before putting a new circuit in should save a lot of time and expense.
    Best, Steve
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Jan 23, 2009, 01:50 PM

I tend to think Strat nailed this one. I've seen it before. The neutral and hot for the light must either both be on the load side for GFCI protection or both on the line side. If one wire is on the line side and the other is on the load the GFCI will trip and is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New circuit for sump pump: GFCI or not? [ 9 Answers ]

I've had a lot of water and sewer problems recently. Long story short, I ended up with a sump pump in my basement (there never was one before). That basement area is unfinished. Currently, the sump pump is running off an extension cord. The pump manual specifies that it should be installed...

GFI or GFCI Limit on one circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring my own garage, and have searched the Nec codes on many areas. There seems to be some confusion with a detached garage as to the number of gfi outlets, whether all need to be or just some. My question is this: How many gfi outlets, or outlets protected by the one Gfi outlet can I have...

15A receptacles on 12/2 GFCI Circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I was just looking at some of the wiring that was done in my house when it was built in 2003. I have one GFCI Circuit that has 5 receptacles on it. On this, it is wired all with 12/2 to the garage first, where the receptacle is the GFI, then it runs 3 outdoor receptacles, and 1 in the basement. ...

GFCI Circuit Breaker. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently ran a branch circuit to the exterior of the house to add a receptacle on the patio. The existing 15 amp breaker protected a circuit that had only three plug outlets and one switched ceiling light. The circuit is very lightly used. So I want to add GFIC protection in the form of a breaker...

View more questions Search