Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1099er101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 06:26 PM
    1099 form in x-Wife's name Marriage Settlement permits me to claim taxes
    Last year (2008) I went through a divorce, My x-wife and I still own a property. The mortgage is in her name as she is the primary, and I am the co-signer.

The marriage settlement agreement clearly states that I am permitted to claim the interest for this property on my taxes. I received the 1099 form in the mail the other day, and her name is the only name listed on the 1099 form.

Since her name is the primary name on the 1099 form, and on the mortgage, what can be done so that I can claim this interest on my taxes, besides asking her to claim the interest, and then try to get the money, which in my opinion will be impossible to do.

If I contact the bank, about re-issuing a 1099 in my name, they tell me that the mortgage is in her name as the primary, despite having the legal signed marriage settlement aggrement which clearly states that I am permitted to claim the interest for this property.

If anyone can shed light on this, or if I need to go to an account.:confused::confused::confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 09:37 AM
    The divorce decree is a legal document which MUST be honored by both you and her. Hence, she CANNOT claim the mortgage interest, and you CAN claim it, so be sure she understands that, legally, she cannot claim the interest.

You can then either attached a copy of the divorce decree to your tax return when you file, or just file and hope the IRS does not notice, or file and have the divorce decree available when the IRS challenges the deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any way for me to claim my taxes without having a w-2 form? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I claim my taxes by getting paid under the table?

Form 1099 and paying taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I get paid with a 1099 I get 10hr how much of taxes will I pay at the end of the year

How to claim money without 1099 or w2 form [ 3 Answers ]

My husband earned some income flight instructing for a man who didn't withhold or supply any 1099 or w2 forms. What do we do to remain legal? I usually have filed taxes using tubotax, will I still be able to use that? Thank you for any advice.

Do I need to claim a 1099-R on PA State Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Do I need to claim a 1099-R form on my PA state taxes? The withdrawl was a normal deduction of an IRA. Thank you.

Settlement charges, how to claim on federal taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am not sure how to claim and what I can claim for settlement charges for my house. I was charged... 300 processing fee 345 application fee 1500 broker fee 65 tax service 50 funding fee 595 underwriting fee -38.12 interest 595 insurance premium for the year

View more questions Search