Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amylynnc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Sue for Slander?
    My boyfriend's ex wife keeps telling everyone I hit one of their children. She has told the children it so many times it is one of the first things out of their 3 year olds mouth when I see them. "We can't be around you, you hit "tommy". I have been putting up with this and trying to bite my tongue for about a year. From the first time she started saying this I told everyone Id go take a polygraph to prove I didn't do it. Several lawyers said since no charges were ever filed that I don't have to prove myself. At this point it's not about having to it's that I want to so she'll stop the BS. I spoke to an attorney who said she could ask the judge to put it in writing that I can no longer be around them, IF the judge found evidence of me being mean to them or whatever. I'm afraid at this point if the courts interviewed the kids that since they have been told it so many times by her they believe it now. It's like she's brain washed them, all because she doesn't like me? I don't get it. I'm good to the kids and I love them and want to be around for a long time. What can I do about this if anything??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
    If you sue you'll have to show damages, what damages have you sustained due to the slander?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 12:38 PM

As NeedKarma pointed out, you have to have suffered some type of loss and be able to prove it. Of course the ex doesn't like you; you have what she used to have and she(most likely) wants it back.

The next time the kids say something like that to you, ask them when it happened. Obviously, they'll say they don't know because it never occurred. You and your boyfriend have to be the bigger person and teach the kids that lying is not right and won't be tolerated.

Try your hardest not to speak bad about their mother and they'll be able to tell the difference between you, as my stepkids can. They've asked me why Mommy says mean things about Daddy and I when we don't do it to her. Kids are much, much smarter than you think.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 01:15 PM

It is possible with enough witnesses, you could try and press criminal charges, but they will have to intereview all of the kids to show.

You may hire an attorney to write a threatening letter, sometimes that helps
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jan 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
    You may want to confer with a legal representative in your particular jurisdiction and/or do some research as to how your defamation statute is worded.

In some cases damages must be established but could include damage to reputation.

In some other cases damages are assumed and it is the actual act of defamation that must be proven.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amylynnc View Post
    My boyfriend's ex wife keeps telling everyone I hit one of their children. She has told the children it so many times it is one of the first things out of their 3 year olds mouth when I see them. "We can't be around you, you hit "tommy". I have been putting up with this and trying to bite my tongue for about a year. From the first time she started saying this I told everyone Id go take a polygraph to prove I didn't do it. Several lawyers said since no charges were ever filed that I don't have to prove myself. At this point it's not about having to it's that I want to so she'll stop the BS. I spoke to an attorney who said she could ask the judge to put it in writing that I can no longer be around them, IF the judge found evidence of me being mean to them or whatever. I'm affraid at this point if the courts interviewed the kids that since they have been told it so many times by her they believe it now. It's like she's brain washed them, all because she doesn't like me? I don't get it. I'm good to the kids and I love them and want to be around for a long time. What can I do about this if anything???

Your question appears to be if you can sue for slander. Here's what I wrote (quoting myself):

Briefly - Generally in law libel refers to permanent/written statements and slander refers to non-permanent/spoken statements. Defamation (of character) covers both categories.

You must be damaged - and prove damages - in order to recover. The statements (either written or spoken) must be false but presented as though they were true and be beyond offensive, derogatory or insulting. Such statement must rise to a level which actually harms a person’s reputation. In general the person making the statement must either know it isn’t true or make the statement without attempting to verify if it is true.

The defense to defamation is that the information was not presented as the truth (which covers gossip), that the information was never secret (privileged) and was always public.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for slander [ 3 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 6yrs and remarried with my second child on the way. My ex in laws keep telling these NASTY lies like I have been molested to people all over town. After I divorced their son they started all of these sick lies about me to try to hurt me. My daughter has to hear this sick...

Slander [ 8 Answers ]

Does another employee telling my supervisor that I should not be allowed to oversee a children's workshop that my company hosts because she feels I am drunk constitute libel or slander? This person knows nothing about my lifestyle. I have never socialized with this person or any other person in the...

Slander and law [ 2 Answers ]

Is it slander for a person to tell someone that you are a criminal and that you are going to jail?

Is this slander [ 29 Answers ]

I wrote the following letter to a neighbour after she took me to court for racism. It was totally untrue and I didn't win my appeal either. This neighbour made my life a misery for 2 years. I bit my lip for so long. After receiving a criminal record now, I wrote the letter but also sent it to our...

Does anyone know if this is this slander? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress. ...

View more questions Search