Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honda-96-civic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2006, 10:00 PM
    Honda-civic-96 trouble starting
    My wife's 96 honda civic with over 100,000 miles would turn over some sluggishly when I tried to crank so I replaced battery and then car would turn over a lot but not crank for several tries and finally it cranked. I drove it down the road and up hills with no problems and pulled in drive way and turned off and tried to crank again and it fired up immediately. Is the alternator going bad, or is it the ecm, main relay, fuel pump, etc. I'm thinking the alternator.

Thanks for any help,

Billy
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 10:16 PM
    How old was the previous battery? If it was old, maybe that was the only problem. Take your Civic to Autozone, O'Reilly Auto Parts, or Advance Auto Parts and they will check your alternator for free.
    jlatin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 12:29 AM
    I'm thinking that could be your fuel system,like the fuel filter is clogged or fuel injectors,I had the same problem in the same car and it was the filter.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Reilly Auto Parts will check your alternator for free, if you suspect it may be going. Make sure your spark plugs have been changed in the last several years. People often overlook plugs these days because they think platinum plugs last forever. If you have never changed your fuel filter, I would definitely recommend that you get it done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting problem with Honda Civic [ 8 Answers ]

Honda Civic Year 94, Manual Transmission 100,000 miles The car has been giving me starting problems the last few days but it runs well once started. It stops starting if I keep the car parked for a day (it starts if I try starting it within an hour or so after I stop). It starts when I...

Yet another ('91) Civic having trouble starting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a '91 Honda Civic DX and it seems like the battery is being slowly drained of its energy. A few weeks ago I came to this forum and looked at CroCivic91's "FAQ - My Honda Civic Won't Start" thread. I had the classic signs of a bad main relay (16 flashes of the diag light and car dying on hot...

Trouble starting 1999 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

My 1999 honda accord does not start occasionly. About once a week, I don't get any start. I turn the key several times like I'm advancing the starter or something, and it will start fine. It takes anywhere from 4 to 15 attempts, but always starts. What is the most likely cause? Starter? Relay?...

92 honda civic not starting [ 1 Answers ]

The car turns over fine but has no spark or fuel. I have checked the fuel pump, the FI relay, ICM, and replaced the ignition switch. I have looked for broken ground wires in the harness and found none. The car has not been modified (no after market stereo). Bought from original owner. The car...

1987 Honda Civic, trouble starting [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1987 Honda Civic, 89k miles. It was running great up until about a year ago. It began to not start up right away. Had the carburator replaced with a rebuilt one in January. The problem with starting the car has continued and worsened. Now I never know if it's going to start or not. When I...

View more questions Search