Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Jan 20, 2009, 06:58 PM
    How much does this car really cost ?
    I have an odd way of dealing with a car salesman when it comes to buying a new car. I do my research very well, set a fair price in my mind and not negotiate away from this price. I want to buy a 2009 Nissan Versa with cruise control and power windows. I visited 3 dealerships and everyone gave me a different price ranging from 13K to almost 16K! I am for the dealership making a small profit. But I refuse to be taken for a ride, especially when my credit is very good. Does anyone know for sure what is a fair price for this car ?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 07:45 PM

Found this thought it might help:
    2009 Nissan Versa Prices & Equipment
    Model Prices
    Prices Updated: 11/18/2008
    Trim Name Retail Price Dealer Invoice Destination Charge

1.6 Base 4-door sedan, manual $9,990 $9,759 $695

1.6 4-door sedan, manual $10,990 $10,731 $695

1.6 4-door sedan, automatic $11,990 $11,703 $695

1.8 S 4-door sedan, manual $12,990 $9,759 $695

1.8 S 4-door sedan, automatic $13,990 $13,500 $695

1.8 S 4-door hatchback, manual $12,990 $12,539 $695

1.8 S 4-door hatchback, automatic $13,990 $13,500 $695

SL 4-door sedan, automatic $15,990 $15,423 $695

SL 4-door hatchback, CVT $16,210 $15,634 $695

Pricing Key: Retail prices listed with each report are set by the vehicle's manufacturer. These figures appear on each car's federally mandated window sticker. Most price lists also include dealer-invoice prices. Dealer-invoice prices are what the dealer pays the manufacturer for the car and its factory-installed options. The destination charge is not included in the suggested-retail or dealer-invoice price and must be added to the cost of the vehicle. Car companies change prices frequently throughout the year. If the prices published do not match those on the vehicle's window sticker, the manufacturer has probably altered the price recently.
    NA = price note available, NC = no charge.
    Rebates and Incentives
    Model Rebate & Incentives Type Expires

Versa $500-$750 cash back or 2.9%-3.9% financing. Customer 02/02/09

or go to Nissan USA - Buying a New Nissan - Choose a Vehicle and build it how you want it to get a more exact estimate.
    jordan1989 Posts: 48, Reputation: -1

Jan 20, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Why don't you buy an American car and try to be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem? It's people like you buying foreign cars which is the reason the Big 3 and this economy are in such bad shape.
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Jan 20, 2009, 08:14 PM

Good point thank you. Now I'm thinking Ford Focus. I wish you expressed yourself in a gentler tone though.

Jan 20, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but the whole situation really upsets me. My father works in the auto industry, and he is on the verge of losing his job. Yes, Ford Focus is a nice car. I would buy one if I could afford it. I'm only 20, and in college, so I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan1989 View Post
    Why don't you buy an American car and try to be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem? It's people like you buying foreign cars which is the reason the Big 3 and this economy are in such bad shape.
    I have to disagree with you. The Big 3 are in bad shape because of the people who refuse to sacrifice. The CEOs showed up for a bail-out meeting in each of their own private jet; you can't blame the American public for that. The union workers are averaging $70-80/hour when you factor in their pay, benefits, pension, etc. Nobody wants to give anything up but then they complain when it starts going downhill.

You also can't blame the American public for wanting a car with a decent warranty; Hyundai has been offering a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty for years now, whereas Chrysler is offering the same with the catch that all service work must be performed at a dealership.

Jan 21, 2009, 11:51 AM
    How is the warranty thing with Chrysler a catch? So what if the work needs to be performed at a dealership? Free is free. In fact, with it being free, I wouldn't take my car anywhere BUT a dealership! They would know what they're doing better than a general repair shop.

It's like getting a wisdom tooth pulled by an oral surgeon, or a root canal by an endodontist, rather than either procedure by a general dentist.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 11:54 AM

It's not free; not sure how you interpreted as "free", because service work certainly isn't warranty work. You need to have oil changes, transmission services, tune ups, etc. done at the dealer to keep your warranty in place; you also need to pay for all of it. Then, if something gives out, like a water pump, it will be under warranty but ONLY if you've had the vehicle continually serviced at a dealer.

And I even more detest your comment about a dealership knowing what they're doing better than a "general repair shop." You continue to stick your foot in your mouth and it's getting old. Did you happen to get this information from an episode of Judge Judy?

Jan 21, 2009, 12:01 PM
    In my experience with manufacturer warranties, any repair work that needs to be done will be free (at a dealership, of course). I've only had Ford and GM cars, and both honored warranties the same. They don't care where you had routine maintenance performed, or if you did it yourself. That's ridiculous! I've never had a Chrysler car, but it sounds like they don't honor the warranty the same way as Ford and GM. And that may be one of the reasons Chrysler is in the worst shape of the Big 3.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 12:06 PM
    In my experience with manufacturer warranties, any repair work that needs to be done will be free (at a dealership, of course). I've only had Ford and GM cars, and both honored warranties the same. They don't care where you had routine maintenance performed, or if you did it yourself. That's ridiculous! I've never had a Chrysler car, but it sounds like they don't honor the warranty the same way as Ford and GM. And that may be one of the reasons Chrysler is in the worst shape of the Big 3.
    You're not listening to what I'm saying. Warranty work will be done at no charge. However, under Chrysler's new 100,000 mile warranty, you need to have all service work done at a Chrysler dealer in order to keep the warranty. Service work is not, and never will be, free. It's different from the warranty work you've had in the past, as Ford and GM aren't offering a 100,000 mile warranty.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 12:11 PM
    How is the warranty thing with Chrysler a catch? So what if the work needs to be performed at a dealership? Free is free. In fact, with it being free, I wouldn't take my car anywhere BUT a dealership! They would know what they're doing better than a general repair shop.

Warranties don't cover everything. Furthermore as you insinuated previously that many of the car factories in the US are going out of business I would like to point out that a warranty does nothing if the maker of the car stops making cars and has no more dealerships.

No Dealership=No Access to Repair Shop= No Warranty=Car not getting fixed by dealerhip "proffesionals."
    jrhelander Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Maybe if the big three didn't charge so much and believe in quality they would not be in this shape

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome calculations valuable to a human service [ 2 Answers ]

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome calculation valuable to a human service agency?

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome valuable to a human services agency [ 2 Answers ]

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome valuable to a human services agency

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

View more questions Search