Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dramachick828 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Electric Charge Conceptual Physics
    A professor pets her cat, which is initially neutral, as is she (even in an election year). Immediately afterwards, the professor reaches for a doorknob and feels a shock as electrons travel from the knob into her hand. Is the cat positively charged, negatively charged or electrically neutral?

I think the cat would be negatively charged, but... help? Thank you!
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 20, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramachick828 View Post
    ... as electrons travel from the knob into her hand.
    Are electrons charged positive or negative?
    As electrons travel to her hand, what charge must her hand have?
    And where did the charge of her hand come from?

Has that any consequence for the question "Is the cat positively charged, negatively charged or electrically neutral?"
    So the answer to the question is??
    Dramachick828 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 06:40 PM

Electrons are charged negatively.
    The question is very basic, I think the hand must have had the opposite of whatever the charge of the door was so that the door's particles would fly to her hand...
    And so the particles in her hand would also be oppositely charged to the cat in order to pick them up...
    It says the cat is initially neutral.
    ? I know, right? :D
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 20, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Electrons are charged negatively. Yes.

I think the hand must have had the opposite of whatever the charge of the door was so that the door's particles would fly to her hand... Yes and no.
    The question stated that "electrons travel from the knob into her hand". What attracts electrons ? So was her hand charged negative or positive ?

Yes : it is basic : if some item goes by some action from neutral to negative, than that other item has to go from neutral to positive (or the other way around) !

And as both cat and prof were initial neutral, the charge of the hand came from... where ?
    So the other item changed from neutral into..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Electric charge on a drain line [ 1 Answers ]

I was using the sink the other night and I got a little charge from the water. When I went to home depot they told me to make sure ground my hot water heater (witch is gas).I did not that and I still get a charge so I took a ground wire from the faucet handle to the drain and I got a pop then...

View more questions Search