Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirley selhost Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Adopt grandbaby
    My daughter wants me to adopt her baby as soon as it is born. How do I do this?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 04:39 PM

You get a lawyer. You get your daughter counseling. You go to court. She signs over her parental rights. The biological father signs over his parental rights. You sign adoption papers.

The biological father IS willing to sign over parental rights, correct? If he's not, you've got a fight on your hands.

Does your daughter understand that adoption is FOREVER? She will NEVER get her child back? This isn't something she can change her mind on later.

Nothing can really be done aside from seeing a counselor (for her) and consulting a lawyer (for you) until the child is born, though.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 04:42 PM

Relatives, often grandparents, are frequently called upon by family circumstances to step in as caregivers for children.

Many of these arrangements are informal, with the relative(s) providing kinship care; however, informal care gives the caregiver no legal standing with courts, schools, state agencies, doctors, hospitals, and others, and can tie their hands when decisions need to be made on the child's behalf.

This series of articles will present the legal options generally available when it becomes important for the caregiver to have legal standing in order to provide the best environment for the child. Options available depend on state law. Each state has its own laws and its own court system.

Options for Relative Caregivers

Adoption (in all states)
    Guardianship (in all states)
    Legal Custody (in all states)
    Open Adoption with Agreements (in some states)
    De Facto Custodian (in some states)
    Permanent Guardianship (in some states)
    Standby Guardianship (in some states)
    Subsidized Guardianship (in some states)
    Medical & Educational Consent (in some states)
    There are several factors to consider in relative adoptions:

Adoption laws are generally state laws and can differ substantially from one state to another.
    In light of the differences in state adoption laws, the following is general information for your consideration. There is no substitute for advice from a competent licensed adoption attorney in your area who is familiar with the legal intricacies. (To find an adoption attorney, visit the Directory of Professionals.)
    "Relative adoptions" are not the same as "stepparent adoptions." {For information, see Stepparent Adoption.)

In most states, relative adoptions are treated somewhat less formally than non-relative ("stranger") adoptions. They may require only an abbreviated homestudy, or none at all. For this preferential treatment to apply, the adoption must fit the definition of a relative adoption under state law. Most state laws define "relative" by degree of relatedness. For example, Arizona adoption law defines a "relative" as "uncle, aunt, adult sibling, grandparent or great-grandparent of the child of the whole or half-blood or by marriage or adoption." Not fitting in this general definition are cousins of any degree or children of nieces or nephews. You will need to consult your attorney or the specific law in your state.

General Considerations
    Just as with any adoption, there must be a proper termination of the parental rights of both the child's biological parents. New birth certificates are issued, and adoption records are sealed in accordance with state laws.
    Adopting a close relative's child may be the best solution for the child, but it can cause a radical change in the dynamics of your relationship with that relative. These types of relationships have the potential to become strained or severely damaged due to questions of "quasi co-parenting" and exactly who is the child's parent. The reality is that this dynamic will be different for everyone involved, including all family members, and extending to other children the biological parents may have now or in the future. You will be confronted with questions of relatedness (is your child their cousin? Sibling? Aunt? Uncle?), among others. Can this be done? Yes. Will it be a snap? No. The openness encouraged in adoptions today will help communication with all parties, and those experienced with relative adoptions strongly recommend counseling before and after the adoption whenever possible.
    Depending on the child's age and the circumstances of the adoption, talking to your child about the adoption may involve additional complexities due to previous and current relationships, death and grief, disappointments, and human failings. Do seek out support groups and educational books and tapes.

I found this at: Relative Adoption - Adopt a Relative, Grandchild, Grandson, Granddaughter
    Hope it helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopt again? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a six month old son who is adopted. I brought him home with me when he was 9 days old... I am single but I want to adopt again. I am financally stable, have a wonderful job that allows me to be with my son, and I have the room in my home. My friends and family say I'm crazy though... is it...

Want to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

We are a safety resource for two small children and we are pretty sure we will be getting long term custody in the near future due to the fact the parents have not and will not complete a case plan and the mother is in jail and will be there for a while. My question is once we get long term custody...

Can He Adopt Her [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter was 2 years old when I got married. My husband wanted to adopt her and her natural father was all for it. I am no longer married but my exhusband has been there for every program, scraped knee and has many times helped with finance for my daughter. My ex and I also have a child together...

Worried about my grandbaby [ 2 Answers ]

My grand baby is out of state w/his mother she is farely OK mom but reckless w/his care some.her parent drinks around him I seen one event he choked him w/food.(the grandparent.)while the g/parent wasdrunk.I seen it on myspace.she was telling a friend.she talks about partyin on there but I don't...

My grandbaby [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters name is carla. She is pregnant due july27,2006. Will she have a boy or a girl and what day will the bith be on? What do we need to watch out for or becareful of?

View more questions Search