Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnbear68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Installing a programmable thermostat on a Harman coal Stove
    I currently have a very basic thermostat connected on my Harman coal stove which has only 2 wires for connection (red,white). I want to connect a programmable thermostat, but when I connect the wires to the programmable the stove constantly stays on high and won't shut down. The programmable is a honeywell model RTH221
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Is your coal stove a millivolt system?
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Where did you connect the wires on the Honeywell thermostat?
    johnbear68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 08:24 PM
    I'm not sure if it is a millivolt or not, the last thermostat was a basic Honeywell wich worked. I have one red and one white wire, which I attached to the w and RH on the programmable. I tried removing the jumper between rh and rc but still had the same results
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 08:44 PM
    The jumper won't make a difference. Pull the batteries on the stat and start over. Can you program it without connecting it? If so, do that then check the continuity between Rh and W when it's not calling for heat, and when it is calling for heat. If it's not calling for heat and the contacts are closed, the stat is bad. (you'll need an ohm meter)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not able to re program mywhite rodgers thermostat for it to lower the temp. at night At 11 pm and raise it again at 6 am

Programmable thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I need to set my thermostat to were it well not go under 68 deg right now it will go down to 45 and my children keep putting it down that low so I need to program this thermostat so this don't keep happening it is the (DICO white-rogers) thanks if you can help

Programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a robetshaw thermostat and I have only 2 wires a white and green I can get everything working except it won't register to my heater can someone help me? It is a deisel furnace the brand is an american standard.

Installing a programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 and want to install a Honeywell Programmable Thermostat. The model I bought is RTH230B. Will this work with my HVAC unit?

View more questions Search