Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jordan1989 Posts: 48, Reputation: -1

Jan 20, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Root canal for 14-year old?
    My sister went to the dentist after school today, and her dentist told her she needs a root canal! She is in total disbelief and can't believe anyone her age could possibly need one. Do you know of any kids that ever needed one? She's totally scared it will hurt.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 04:33 PM

A root canal may be necessary for anyone of almost any age depending on overall oral health or on damage that has occurred.
    Without a root canal infection caused by the tooth can cause the rest of the body to get sick.
    Tell your sister not to worry the dentist knows what their talking about (If you're really worried or parents don't think she needs one you can always get a second opinion). Furthermore, the only thing she'll probably feel is a little prick at the beginning when they numb her mouth, they may even use laughing gas so she won't even feel that.
    I have a cousin who had to have three root canals because he fell off his bike and screwed his teeth up, I've heard stories of young kids needing them as well due to poor oral health (my mom was a pediatric dentist).

Don't worry, the root canal will probably make her mouth feel better.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 05:15 PM

Yes, why would she not if they had poor teeth health. I have a family member that by 16 needed to have all of her teeth pulled.
    lilpocadot06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 09:42 PM

Actually it's totally normal to have root canal therapy on a tooth. I work in a pediatric dental office and we even do root canals on little kids baby teeth like 3 and 4 years old. But the healthiest thing you can do is a root canal because pulling a tooth can cause all kinds of problems if its left alone. So that's the smartest thing to do.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 01:50 PM

Root canal treatment is not defined by age but the condition of your teeth.
    Bonita-- Posts: 301, Reputation: 17

Feb 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Well, I've had 3 root canals in my life, I'm 19 years old now and I had my first one at 13 years old. None of them hurt but it hurt was when I went to get the permanent filling put in.
    niallercat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2012, 11:31 PM
    i was 11 wen i had mine and u couldn't even feel it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My two year old needs a root canal and crowns, is anestesia safe for a two year old? [ 10 Answers ]

:confused:my two year old is needing a root canal and four crowns on her front teeth but the part I am worried about is they said she would have to be put to sleep. I am very worried about this, is it even safe for a child this young? What are the risks? She doesn't have any breathing problems...

Do I really need a root canal? [ 3 Answers ]

April 2008: - my dentist put a filling into the top of my back, bottom molar -- she noted that it was a pretty small filling - the tooth didn't bother me at all prior to this - a couple days later I started getting an acute, sharp pain when I chewed on that side

7 year old, extraction, root canal - general anesthesia? [ 2 Answers ]

Hopefully someone can help me. My 7 year old daughter has had problems with her 2 - 6 year old molars. She has had them for several years now. (She was born with 2 teeth and had most of her baby teeth by 7 months. Her 6 year old molars came in early). Both of them decayed and we have done...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

View more questions Search