Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Witholding?
    My daughter just started a paid position with a congressional campaign doing canvassing. She is also a full time student expecting to graduate nest summer.

The campaign told her, they will be paying her in full for her time and taxes will be her responsibility.

My question is how much should she put aside to cover her tax liability? So far this year she has not had a job so no income. The likelihood is that income for the year will not exceed $5K.

Scott<>
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 07:00 PM
    She is being paid as a contractor, which means she has to pay self-employment tax (15.3%). Add about 10% for income taxes, so she should put aside 25%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Witholding deposit [ 14 Answers ]

The following took place in Iowa: I moved into an apartment with 4 friends of mine. My roommate's dad went with us to look and the apartment and also wrote the check for our deposit as our landlord did not want separate checks and none of us had enough money to cover the full amount ($1300). ...

Less Taxes Witholding on H1B [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was on OPT from 1 July 2004 till Nov 08, 2004. My H1B started from Nov 9, 2004. I started working for my ex-employer from Nov 09, 2004 (the same date as my H1 date). In spite of being on H1B, he did not deduct the SS and Medicare tax and also paid less than normal federal and state tax for...

View more questions Search