Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:15 AM
    3 hours left... and counting...
    Hello:

I don't know. There's an 800 lb gorilla in the room. Is it better that we DON'T talk about it? Should we just forget about the last 8 years and the lessons it brings?? Are there any lessons??

I think there are. If we ignore them, we're destined to relive them..

The 800 pound gorilla is that the dufus really WAS a puppet. And, like Pinocchio before, he thought he was real... The danger is that a leaderless ship can find itself on the rocks...

That's where we are. You know I think so... But, here's what neo-con Richard Perle wrote in an article this week in The National Interest. You remember him. He's one of the guys who got us into Iraq.

"Bush was undercut on the most crucial foreign policy issues he faced by the State Department and the CIA, which either ignored his policies or openly sought to discredit them."

As Perle described Bush's presidency, "For eight years George W. Bush pulled the levers of government - sometimes frantically - never realizing that they were disconnected from the machinery and the exertion was largely futile."

Hail, hail, the dufus is gone.

excon
    ravana2 Posts: 146, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 07:27 AM

I don't understad why you see this as a second coming ?

Aren't your expectations to big ?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ravana2 View Post
    i dont understad why you see this as a second coming ?
    I reread his post and saw nothing that referred to that. Perhaps you could quote the text I missed?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:32 AM

Perle is right of course . I have been talking for years about the careerists in State and CIA undermining policy.

Best read on this is 'Shadow Warriors' by Ken Timmerman .

If there is commity and unity of action with the new administration and the new POTUS it will not be because of his leadership .Rather it will be because the careerist and the POTUS have the same policy agenda. When they differ ,Obama's agenda will be undermined also with leaks to the Slimes and internal sabotage .

You should not be thrilled about it . The way I read it ,the careerists in State are Arabists and would silently rejoice if Israel disappeared .

Jan 20, 2009, 07:32 AM

I asked about expectatons from obama . Isn't that a topic ? Or I didn't understan it .
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ravana2 View Post
    arent your expectations to big ?
    Hello again, r:

I don't have expectations. I'm too cynical for that. But, I DO have hopes. Are they too big? Sure.

excon

Jan 20, 2009, 07:36 AM

I think that all this obamamania that spread around the world is just another...

I also hope that obama will be a good presidant for americans . Usually when something is to-good-to-be-trouth its not .
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    You should not be thrilled about it . The way I read it ,the careerists in State are Arabists and would silently rejoice if Israel disappeared .
    Hello tom:

I'm not, of course. Rice wanted to vote in favor of UN Security Council Resolution 1860 which called for an immediate ceasefire between IDF forces and Hamas terrorists - a CLEAR anti-Israel stance...

I just wonder if that isn't because the dufus never held anyone accountable. Or, are we just stuck with career bureaucrats running the show? Scary thought, huh?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 08:03 AM
    I'm not thrilled about it either . Rice started being a reformer at State but she could not crack the bureaucratic quicksand. She has not perfomed there as well as she did as National Security Adviser.

Bush is not completely without fault in this of course. He could've as an example not allowed the State Dept change his original post war plan for Iraq. It should've been clear early on the Viceroy Bremer was single-handedly changing postwar Iraq from liberation to occupation.

Bush trying to reform the CIA appointed Porter Goss.But his term was short and he left under suspicious reasons which looked very much like he was pushed out. From all accounts, Goss had managed in a short time to make himself thoroughly disliked by the rank and file of the CIA.

And as you are aware ,the CIA ran a sting operation on VP Cheney's office . But there is much more .
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 08:09 AM

By the way ;give Rice some slack on that UN vote. She was working with Livni on a US agreement to interdict weapons being smuggled into Gaza . Israel imposed a unilateral ceasefire on itself shortly after both the UN vote and the announcement of the agreement. I hope that Obama signed onto it.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 11:24 AM

Breathe a sigh of reliefandchange, ex... it's done.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Jan 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Breathe a sigh of reliefandchange, ex...it's done.
    OK... let's try and evalute President Obama on his actions starting tomorrow rather than parrotting the Shock Talk Radio right wing predictions of a communist revolution.

So let's all hold hands at least for today and raise our voices in unison and sing a stirring rendition of "Kumbaya" :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post
    OK...let's try and evalute President Obama on his actions starting tomorrow rather than parrotting the Shock Talk Radio right wing predictions of a communist revolution.

So let's all hold hands at least for today and raise our voices in unison and sing a stirring rendition of "Kumbaya" :D
    Tex, that's all fine and well but I'm really quite unsure why you would speak of "parrotting the Shock Talk Radio right wing predictions of a communist revolution" in relation to what I posted.

Jan 20, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Tex, that's all fine and well but I'm really quite unsure why you would speak of "parrotting the Shock Talk Radio right wing predictions of a communist revolution" in relation to what I posted.
    It was not directed at you speech, it was more of a general statement to those who lean right on these threads. I shouldn't have quoted you in my post, I should have just posted without a quote. Sorry.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post
    It was not directed at you speech, it was more of a general statement to those who lean right on these threads. I shouldn't have quoted you in my post, I should have just posted without a quote. Sorry.
    No problem :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
    OK, I'm all Kumbaya'd out today. Man that Rick Warren is sure controversial, eh? But how about that benediction by Rev. Joseph Lowery?

in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around... when yellow will be mellow... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right.
    Um, welcome to the post-racial age in America.

Not to be outdone by that thought provoking inaugural poem...

Praise song for the day.

Each day we go about our business, walking past each other, catching each others' eyes or not, about to speak or speaking. All about us is noise. All about us is noise and bramble, thorn and din, each one of our ancestors on our tongues. Someone is stitching up a hem, darning a hole in a uniform, patching a tire, repairing the things in need of repair.

Someone is trying to make music somewhere with a pair of wooden spoons on an oil drum with cello, boom box, harmonica, voice.

A woman and her son wait for the bus.

A farmer considers the changing sky; A teacher says, "Take out your pencils. Begin."

We encounter each other in words, words spiny or smooth, whispered or declaimed; words to consider, reconsider.

We cross dirt roads and highways that mark the will of someone and then others who said, "I need to see what's on the other side; I know there's something better down the road."

We need to find a place where we are safe; We walk into that which we cannot yet see.

Say it plain, that many have died for this day. Sing the names of the dead who brought us here, who laid the train tracks, raised the bridges, picked the cotton and the lettuce, built brick by brick the glittering edifices they would then keep clean and work inside of.

Praise song for struggle; praise song for the day. Praise song for every hand-lettered sign; The figuring it out at kitchen tables.

Some live by "Love thy neighbor as thy self."

Others by first do no harm, or take no more than you need.

What if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light. Love with no need to preempt grievance.

In today's sharp sparkle, this winter air, anything can be made, any sentence begun.

On the brink, on the brim, on the cusp -- praise song for walking forward in that light.
    Wow, I'm so moved...

Jan 20, 2009, 04:12 PM

OMG... that's the second time I fell asleep to that poem today, the first time one TV and the second reading it here.

I don't even like Rap; but if someone could put a beat to it I might be able to stomach it.

That and the instrumental... at pretty as it was, it sounded at times more appropriate for a funeral. The only entertainment was the "Yo Yo" guy on the Celo, he thought he was belting it out like it was a rock concert, I liked his enthusiasm.

Other than that, snorefest.

Oh... and President Obama needs to smile a little more. Far too serious and he looked nervous before coming out. I am sure it's planned that he can't look too happy in these serious times.

Policy aside; I liked George Bush personally, he almost always had a smile on his face and had a sense of humor which I liked. Perhaps it takes a while on the job for the President to feel comfortable, I don't remember if George was stiffer in the beginning. Almost all outgoing President's look more comfortable than the incoming one, I guess in part because they ARE happy they get to relax finally and I suppose because we are so used to seeing them.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jan 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Hi excon-

Not much time before my mother (the babysitter) brings my kid back home so I'll make this brief. To pick up on your topic I watched a good portion of the inauguration today. I agree that generally speaking, nationally (perhaps globally), there was sense of relief that a Bush clan led White House has finally ended. Of course, you and I know that realistically the effects of Dumbya will unfortunately linger on for years.

Barack's speech was poignantly correct. However, the thing that struck me foremost was that for the first time this historical moment was larger than Barack, as a politician, or his orator skills. Seeing elderly African Americans in tears, thinking they would had never had experienced this in their lifetime was wonderful insight to the progress of the United States... the country I love.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 04:00 AM

Shock Talk Radio right wing predictions
    Tuned into air America yesterday and got an ear full from the free giverment cheese crowd complaining about all of President Obama's talk of personal responsibility .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    tuned into air America yesterday and got an ear full from the free giverment cheese crowd complaining about all of President Obama's talk of personal responsibility .
    That's weird it's actually quite the opposite:
    A New Era of Responsibility | Air America Media
    Responsibility is not a dirty word. It is not Republican code.
    Meanwhile Rush Limbaugh is saying:
    Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails
    I would be honored if the Drive-By Media headlined me all day long: "Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails." Somebody's gotta say it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg [ 6 Answers ]

Any ideas what would cause this condition on a grown man? Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg. Thanks for helping

Counting different calroies [ 1 Answers ]

I was informed that when you count calories to lose weight that you don't just count the calories on the nutrition list ut you have to count the calories from fat and protein and carbs. Is this true? And if it is how many of each do you need? I always thought you just needed like 1200-1500...

Career aspirations [helppp,I only got 12 hours left] [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I need to write a short essay of half page upon my career aspirations . How should I start with :confused: Anyone please helpppppppppp :(

1 kidney and counting. [ 1 Answers ]

I donated a kidney to my son in 96.. due to a misdiagnosis... that kidney was destoyed and he has been back on dialysis since 99... medicaid took care of all of the transplant expense... but after 6 days... my "coverage" was over... I have no health insurance and have not been tested to see if my...

35 weeks and counting [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all it's me Jnet29 I have a question, for the last week I have been having headaches, nausea and I have been seeing spots for two days and my back have been killing me and I'm going to the bathroom like crazy can anyone tell me what's going on?

View more questions Search