Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tracky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 06:32 AM
    Entitlement to there home
    My partner has lived in his house for 15 years, his ex and himself are both named on the mortgage.

They have never been married but have 2 children aged 22 and 17 still living in the house with there mother.

My partner now rents but still pays all the bills to his house, his ex partner never worked and never contributed financially or otherwise to the house. She now has a job and has been working for the past year, but she still doesn't contribute financially or otherwise.

Is she entitled to half the house?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2009, 06:46 AM

Whose name is the deed in? Are they in a community property state?

What names are on the mortgage do not necessarily prove ownership.

Since they have not been married and if he can prove he has made all the payments towards the mortgage, unless her name is on the deed, then she doesn't have much of a claim. But if she is on the deed then the house is half hers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 06:55 AM

Yes, it is whose name is on the deed. If both names are on the deed, they both own the house and how the names are listed makes a difference.

But if they are, it is very likely she owns 1/2 and he will have to buy her out, or she him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the girlfriend have entitlement to my father's will? [ 4 Answers ]

My dad has terminal cancer. Recently, they (him and his girlfriend) had a disscussion about his will. My sister is his power of attorney (has also looked after his finances for the last 13 years.) She(the girlfriend) is getting the home they share (paid in full) and is also getting his car (in both...

Entitlement of Corpus fund [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My society is going for re-development. Thus, the builder has offered some amount as a corpus to the society. The society has decided to distribute this fund to the members. Now, the members include some who wishes to stay in the re-developed building and also include some who wishes to...

Social Benefit entitlement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi People. I would like any information with regards to social security entitlement. I am not currently working and not on any form of benefit at present, but have just found out I am about 4 weeks pregnant. I recently bought my home out right (no mortgage) and have practically run out of my own...

Benefit entitlement [ 1 Answers ]

Q 1. are you entitled to any benefits or pensions after being bankrupt? Q 2.can you open a basic bank account after being bankrupt? Q 3. are all the debts cleared after being bankrupt even if the debts are extremely high altogether? Would you be allowed to use a family members bank account...

View more questions Search