Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llamrouex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 01:16 AM
    HIPAA
    My Husband was referred to a Nurologist from a stand in dr to test for nerves all test came back normal but she wanted him to get a second opion. In the mean time he had to go to the Company dr for a DOT physical which he past all of his exam but the dr. informed him in his records to the Nurologist that their was mentioned that he said he gets confused and because of that he will not give him a DOT approval for work. But he did not think anything was wrong but he would like permission to talk to the dr. my question is what gave him the right to look at his medical file in the fisrt place without permission and why now does he have to give permission when if he didn't look on the hospital computor in his records he would have not known of this observation from the dr. Could you tell me if I'm right by saying he had no right.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 21, 2009, 12:59 PM

Doctors to whom your husband goes to for care have every right to view any/all of his medical information. If he is required to have a medical check for his job, at some point, your husband signed a release allowing the company doctor to review his records.

This is not a HIPAA violation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 02:10 PM

Medical records can be reviewed in these cases , I see no issues

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Law, Az. [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it violates Hipaa law, in Arizona, for a paramedic/EMT to keep "Run Sheets" at home of patients he/she has treated? Generally these are kept in case law suits arise later or for educational purposes. Thanks.

Hipaa law [ 3 Answers ]

I work at a company that stores medical records for a large hospital. They owe payment us for several months of service. Can I discontinue servicing their account until I get payment without breaking any hipaa laws ? Please advise.

Is This phi in HIPAA? [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my name and address is on my prescription bottles isn't this PHI?

Hipaa law [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 part question regarding Hipaa law. First, let me give you the necessary background information. My husband and I are separated (not legally) and we reside in California. We are both in law enforcement, my husband being a supervisor and me being line staff. My husband is in charge of...

View more questions Search