Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fizzy Burst Posts: 34, Reputation: 6

Jan 19, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Am I too nice?
    OK, so my ex broke up with me about 2 weeks ago. I'm 26 and she's 19 (big mistake on my part! ). Looks like she went on the rebound and hooked up with an old ex who her family doesn't like. I accept the fact that we are broken up, and I know that I am not going to get back with her, and I have no intention of getting back with her if she were to ask. Ex's are ex's for reasons. She's really confused in life right now. I'm trying to help her and stay her friend (something she wants). I'm about over the junior high stuff she is saying, but I can't pull away from trying to help. My profession is a counselor, I'm trying to help her, but when do I say enough is enough? I work with her mom (who hooked us up). We talk about what is going on all the time. I feel like I'm drowning is this stuff sometimes, but it's in my nature to be the helper. I could use some advice.
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 19, 2009, 08:51 PM
    When it gets too emotional for you personally or when she never seems to take your advice is a good time to let that go. But I think it's very compassionate for you to want to help her. Also if she never seems to appreciate it, then she is just taking advantage.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 09:14 PM

Part of being a good helper means knowing when to back away. You need distance, from her, the relationship and her issues. You need to look out for you. Otherwise, being her helper becomes a mucky swamp of good intentions.

Take some time for activities and people that are positive. Others who give back are as important as those who only seem to take or need.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 10:49 AM

Sometimes Mr. Counselor, you have to leave work, and go home, and help yourself. Not easy to change hats. But you keep your personal life and business life separate (in your mind of course), or you'll never leave work, so that's no fun, or your always at home, and that ruins your job.

BALANCE
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 11:42 AM

Don't sacrifice your emotional stability to help a confused girl who just ravaged your heart.

Your putting yourself through unneeded stress and pain.

Time to work on helping yourself for a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If you wonder if you want to be a nice guy anymore or you think nice guy finish last [ 6 Answers ]

YOU SHOULD Definitely CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE YOU MAKING ANY DECISION... IT SO TRUE ABOUT EVERY AREAS OF A NICE GUY SITUATION AND HOW THEY FEEL ANYTHING EVERYTHING... DO NICE GUYS REALLY FINISHED LAST ? WHAT SHOULD NICE GUYS DO ? Movie name : Just A Nice Guy Part 1 : YouTube - Just A Nice...

If you wonder if you want to be a nice guy anymore or you think nice guy finish last [ 12 Answers ]

YOU SHOULD Definitely CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE YOU MAKING ANY DECISION... IT SO TRUE ABOUT EVERY AREAS OF A NICE GUY SITUATION AND HOW THEY FEEL ANYTHING EVERYTHING... DO NICE GUYS REALLY FINISH LAST ? WHAT SHOULD NICE GUY SO ? Movie name : Just A Nice Guy Part 1 : YouTube - Just A Nice Guy -...

You're a Nice Guy BUT. [ 19 Answers ]

My girlfriend just kicked me to the curb after 8 months everything was beautiful then all of a sudden an email of all things... 'she said she has a flaw in her character. She can't let herself love as most people do.' WHAT?? HUH?? If she felt like this why did she not discuss with me?? We had a...

You're a Nice Guy.But [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend just kicked me to the curb after 8 months everything was beautiful then all of a sudden an email of all things... 'she said she has a flaw in her character. She can't let herself love as most people do.' WHAT?? HUH?? If she felt like this why did she not discuss with me?? We had a...

MATCHMAKER ALERT (Nice guys do not always finish last -but NICE nice guys do) [ 2 Answers ]

There is a general thought that: - nice guys don't get the girl. - nice guys get walked on. - nice guys get left behind. It's not that simple. 1. Nice guys can get any girl. As long as they "own their space" -- that is, they know themselves and their life purpose and what drives them.

View more questions Search