Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathrina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 04:42 PM
    Sewage smell lurking from bathtub
    I have a sewage smell coming from my bathtub. I even closed the drain and smell it... It comes in through the small hole above the drain that is there for in case of an overflow. We have extended the pipe outside, thinking maybe it might have caught a draft of air and pushed the stench into the house, but the smell still came back. Any suggestions? Should I call a plumber? Is this on us or could it possibly be a city issue?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kathrina
    I have a sewage smell coming from my bathtub. I even closed the drain and smell it...It comes in through the small hole above the drain that is there for in case of an overflow. We have extended the pipe outside, thinking maybe it might have caught a draft of air and pushed the stench into the house, but the smell still came back. Any suggestions? Should I call a plumber? Is this on us or could it possibly be a city issue?
    Hi Kathrina,

Most bad smells from tub/showers and lavatories come from rotting hair matted in with grease in the drain lines. Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtine Take a 1/2 gallon of bleach and pour down the drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flust out esch drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out. Let me know how it worked. Tom
    allozier Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Aug 1, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Might check to see if you have a trap under it also. This would be a u shape pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

Sewage Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the...

View more questions Search