Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    txtxcal Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txtxcal View Post
    I received Plaintiffs response to my motion to dismiss today. They claim that their suit was filed in Justice Court, not Small Claims Court. The title of the citation I received from the court read "Justice Court/Small Claims". Can anyone explain this to me?
    Just read this.
    JURISDICTION

In Texas, a Justice Court Suit is a civil suit for money damages, possession of real property, and enforcement of liens on personal property. The amount of controversy must be for no more than $10,000 or less, interest excluded.

In Texas, a Small Claims Court Suit is a civil suit for money damages only (you may not recover personal property). The amount in controversy must be for no more than $10,000 or less, interest included. For more information please read "Comparison of Justice Court and Small Claims Court" below.

Doesn't that mean it's a small claims court?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2009, 01:22 PM

Simple, contact the court clerk and ask which court has jurisdiction.

Mar 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
    I just received a notice from the judge telling me that the pre-trial conference scheduled for March 30 has been cancelled and I am to appear in court on April 7 for trial. Does anyone have any opinions on why or how this happened?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 12:53 PM

It means they're skipping the pre-trial hearing and going directly to trial. What did you send to the courts and/or the creditor?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2009, 01:02 PM

Send a letter to the judge ans ask why. Could be an issue of court calendars. Could be a request form the plaintiff. Could be any number of reasons.

Mar 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
    The only things I sent to the court were my answer to the original complaint and my motion to dismiss.

Jul 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
    This is the end of the story. I asked for an extension of time to complete Discovery, which was granted. I sent a request for documents to the attorneys for the plaintiff and they responded by not producing anything. They just answered everything by saying I was on a fishing trip. Two days before I was scheduled to go to court, I received a notice from the court that the plaintiff had dropped the suit. Alls well that ends well I guess.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txtxcal View Post
    This is the end of the story. I asked for an extension of time to complete Discovery, which was granted. I sent a request for documents to the attorneys for the plaintiff and they responded by not producing anything. They just answered everything by saying I was on a fishing trip. Two days before I was scheduled to go to court, I received a notice from the court that the plaintiff had dropped the suit. Alls well that ends well I guess.
    Glad to hear things worked out for you; thanks for the update :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I ask for in small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Paid $1200 for wedding pics sept. '06 and haven't received anything. Had contract. The contract clearly states the location of the ceremony. After wedding they added $250 in extra fees. Haven't paid the fees. The photographer claims the location was farhter than he had expected (even though the...

Small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

I have been summoned to small claims court in aug. this is for a credit card debt 2001 with a charge off in 2002. Now an attorney who buys and tries to collect these debts is the one who is taking me to court. What are my options? I am retired and work two days a week to supplement my income. I do...

Can I take this to small claims court [ 6 Answers ]

We had a car that we were leasing. On January 26th 2005 the car was repossessed because we had no insurance on it. It wasn't being driven it was stored while we were looking for cheaper insurance. It was repossessed. We aren't fighting the repo, we are fighting the amount they are charging after...

Small claims court [ 11 Answers ]

Me (Shirley) and my aunt (Margaret) had a cell phone account together but had separate phones, and also she was the primary account holder, I CXL my phone service early, so I had to pay the early cancelation fee, which I paid, now the phone service is calling my aunt saying that bill was not paid,...

View more questions Search