Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    6AmandaT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Physics specific heat capacity
    I have to find the specific heat capacity of a rock that is 1910J/Kg Cdegrees. It has rock mass of 0.275kg. Falls from rest from a height of 28.5m and into a containing 0.480kg water. The rock and water has the same initial temp.

I'm using this equation:
    T= Mrock(gh)
    CrockMrock + CwaterMwater

I'm getting an answer of 0.030 Cdegrees but my computer assignment is saying this is the wrong answer. Please help me.
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Jan 20, 2009, 10:43 AM

Your second equation is missing something. Besides, it is not clear how you used these two equations together. Or is this one equation? Remember also: what you have calculated using potential energy of the stone and heat balance is the temperature increment, not the temperature itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unit conversion of specific heat to heat transfer coefficient (U factor) [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the conversion of "Specific Heat"(KJ/Kg/K) to "Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient"(W/m2/K) for the calculation of heat load. Looking forward for the answers. Immediate reply would be appreciated. Thanks, Rupesh

The molar heat capacity of silver is 25.35 . How much energy would it take to raise t [ 1 Answers ]

The molar heat capacity of silver is 25.35 . How much energy would it take to raise the temperature of 9.60 of silver by 15.3?

Heat capacity [ 1 Answers ]

What two assumptions would you have to make in order to calculate the specifuc heat capacity of titanium

Specific Heat! [ 3 Answers ]

A 250g sample of an unknown metal releases 5.9x10^4J as it cools from 35 to 15 degrees Celsius. What is the specific heat of the sample? Please help!

Erm.Enthalpy/heat capacity [ 3 Answers ]

a) how much heat is required to raise the temperature of the water from 12oC to 22oC? (this is the amount of heat produced when 0.92g of ethanol burns) volume of water = 400cm3 initial temperature of water = 12 final temperature of water = 22 mass of ethanol burnt = 0.92g specific heat...

View more questions Search