Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tryingtosaveafewquid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Leaking Shower getting worse!
    :(

I have an increasingly fast dripping leak coming from the pipe that attaches to the shower head. The pipe is mostly 'hidden' behing a tiled wall, with about 2 to 3 inches poking out of the wall. (I've removed all the shower head unit but that didn't stop the leak... its definitely coming from the pipe).

The plumber at B & Q told me that as it was coming from the pipes, the best thing for me to do was to remove some of the tiles and re-fit the pipes. I told him that I would probably get a plumber to do it, but he suggested that would be very expensive and it was quite a straightforward job. The thing is I don't know how to work out which part of the system is the problem... just that its leaking from the pipe! At the moment I turn the water off at the mains before I go to bed as the leak is so bad it keeps me awake and this is the only way I can stop he noise.

Any advice would be extremely welcome, as I'm happy to have a go myself as I am indeed Tryingtosaveafewquid.

Thanks very much.
    allozier Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 31, 2006, 03:42 PM
    My suggestionis call a plumber. It sounds like you have a washer in your shower valve that needs to be replaced. I would need more info on what kind of valve you have weather it is a single handle valve or a 2 handle valve also is it a tub and shower combo or is it just a shower. If you can get the name of the valve would help also.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2006, 03:52 PM
    "The plumber at B & Q told me that as it was coming from the pipes, the best thing for me to do was to remove some of the tiles and re-fit the pipes."

Well yeah! That's where leaks come from, water pipes, Duhh!!

"(I've removed all the shower head unit but that didn't stop the leak....its definately coming from the pipe)."

That's because the problem's not in the shower raiser, the chrome curved pipe or the shower head.

The problem that you have is a leaky shower valve. If it were operating properly there would be no water escaping up the shower raiser and out the shower head.
    This could be as simple as replacing a washer or as complicated as replacing the valve itself.
    To tell you more I would have to know the brand name of the shower valve and its approximate age.
    Question? What's a "B & Q" and why would anyone who you call a "plumber" miss the boat on a simple call like this??
    Waiting to hear from you. Regards, Tom

Aug 1, 2006, 01:25 AM
    Appreciate the info. Absolutely fair point about the B&Q plumber too!
    Its an Aqualisa shower, about 5 to 6 years old. I don't know how to tell if it's a single handle or 2 valve handle... I don't even know what a valve handle is!! But I do know its just a shower and NOT a bath / shower combo.

Thank you very much.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Click on; http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...sa-showers.asp
    And tell me if you see your shower valve. Thanks, tom

Aug 2, 2006, 03:58 AM
    Cheers Tom

Thanks, the one it looks most like is aqualisa-aquavalve-609-thermostatic-semi-recessed.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...alve-white.asp

Thanks
    Ed Dennis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Based upon your description your problem is in the control valve for the shower. You didn't say whether the shower is part of a bath tub/shower combination or if you have a shower only set up. The fact is you still have water running through your pipes after you turn the shower off. This isn't the fault of the pipes. Your seal in your shower control valve is worn and won't hold against your water pressure. To correct this you will have to cut off water to the shower. You may have to cut off water service to your entire house to accomplish this, but it isn't hard. Just find your water meter and cut off service by turning the valve off in the meter box. If you have an old fixture with a hot and cold valve, it may be a simple as ging to the hardware store and buying a universal washer kit and simply replacing the worn out washers with new ones, If you have a single control that regulates hot/cold water mix and on/off, you will have a more complex problem. First you must determine what brand of control valve you have so you can determine what kinds of parts you might need. After you determine the brand get on the internet and see what you can find out about the valve. Most brands have exploded diagrams on the internet and you can usually determine from these what needs to be replaced. It will usually be the cartridge or cartridges with accompanying washers. Be careful dissembling the unit, paying particular attention to how tight fittings are so when you reassemble you don't over tighten. THIS IS NOT DIFFICULT if you have some experience. The most frustrating part is finding out what kind of control unit you have and rounding up replacement parts. Don't take anything apart until you have replacement parts in hand. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower pan leaking [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Our shower pan has failed for the second time. We thought the detailed construction this second time would prevent a repeat of the failure. It has not: The Shower was built over 2x4 studs, cement slab, concrete backboard (over 1 foot tall) nailed to studs. A rubberized sheet (unknown...

Shower pan leaking ? [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound like a dumb question, but I am a first-time home owner and I'm not sure who to call about a leak in my shower. I'm pretty sure it is the shower pan that is leaking. Do I call a plumber first? Or a contracter? I'm confused. Please help. Thanks.

Shower drain leak or something worse? [ 2 Answers ]

Have recently discovered a leak that is causing a water spot on the ceiling of the first floor. The leak is directly below the shower drain. I believe it is the drain but in checking my shower upstairs (its a fiberglass one piece shower stall) the floor seems pretty solid except against the inside...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Leaking Shower [ 4 Answers ]

My upstairs shower drain leaks such that if I use it, water comes out of a can light in my living room. The shower base is a mustee. The drain is molded into the base and the pipe was held in by a rubber doughnut (compression fit). Not being able to find a new doughnut at the home depot and...

View more questions Search