Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheZGuy Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2009, 04:11 PM
    "A break" what should I do?
    Hi I'm new on Ask me help desk and I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

Ok so here's the story...
    Me and my girlfriend has been going about for 1 year 6 months. We got together right after graduating from high school. I live in the Inland Empire area, and she moved to San Diego because she got accepted there. So it became a long distance relationship.
    Two nights ago I kind of started a small argument talking to her nicely with a soft voice with her about her staying out so late. I asked her to at least call me and tell me where she is headed or about to do. Because she already told me that she's going to be out from 7 in the morning till 5ish. But she ended up not coming home till close to midnight. I was just worried because of all the raping that have been recently occurred at the UCSD campus
    After I asked her, she answered, I do not have to check up on you about where I am going, I do what I want when I want to.
    I'm fine with that. Cause she wants the college life. Back here before moving to SD she had no freedom at all because of her parents and I understand that.
    Ok so after more talking, she says "I want to take a break." I agreed with her and told her that I understand that and whatever she wants to do I respect her and her decisions.
    Her reasons are that she needs to figure out her major, her goals in life, and her options and to explore those options, and that after the "break" she does not know if she wants to be in a relationship or not, with me or not or just stay single.
    She never explained to me what the terms what of the break
    And that I do not know how long the break would last.
    She said maybe a couple weeks to a couple of months.
    And she said that I can not call her
    So I told her that I would be waiting for her call then.

I'm guessing is that the "exploring her options" mean's that she will be dating around.
    Maybe I am wrong.

There's more but I do not want to bore anybody.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    mum2five Posts: 171, Reputation: 32

Jan 19, 2009, 04:18 PM

I think maybe you should try and accept that this relationship is drawing to a close.

Give her the space and time she needs maybe she will realise how much she misses you , maybe not but what choice do you have?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 04:30 PM

Do as she says, and give her time, and space, and don't call her.

Your concern while understandable, was not taken well, and now you do your own thing, and leave hers alone.

You probably would be better served getting your own life.

Jan 19, 2009, 04:32 PM

Yeah. It has been 2 days and I haven't talked to her or even tried to contact her.
    Normally I drive down to San Diego twice a month staying down there for 4 or more days then come back home for school
    And today I should be going to UCLA with her to attend a school club event.
    She knows I put a lot of effort into our relationship.
    Cause why else would I drive two hour or more to go see her.
    And that every time that we were together, we always have fun. I know this cause I can see it in her face and she does not fake.
    This "taking a break" was just sudden.
    But you are correct all I can do now and wait and see
    mum2five Posts: 171, Reputation: 32

Jan 19, 2009, 04:36 PM

Use the time to get with some friends and go and have some much needed fun.
    Keeping busy with keep your mind from thinking about what she is doing etc
    wikedjuggalo Posts: 406, Reputation: 43

Jan 19, 2009, 05:10 PM

Consider it a BREAK UP. Do yourself a favor and do not contact her. Start to learn how to live your life without revolving it around her. I went through a similar situation (minus the distance) get out of the house and enjoy your friends/familys company. The least amount of time you have to think about what she is doing will do you best. Let this situation unroll itself as time goes on because she is the only who will make the decision, one which you cannot force without coming out behind.

Jan 19, 2009, 05:16 PM
    I try to keep myself busy.
    Already caught up with some old friends
    But right when I got home and stepped into my room
    Everything just comes back and all the things just haunts my mind...

I did ask her if she is happy with me and she said she is.
    And the night she announced that she wanted to take a break,
    She said that she's going to miss me...

I know it is a lot of drama.
    And that there are more fishes in the sea

During my high school years. I have dated a lot and maybe in two or more relationships.
    Thinking that they were the girl for me
    But I was wrong either the girl was a crazy psycho or just plain boring when you really got to know them.

But my current girlfriend (on break) is different. Her and brains and her beauty and something else I can't quite put my finger on it, that I am attracted to.
    I'm her 3rd boyfriend, her first kiss, and her longest relationship.
    expat2009 Posts: 157, Reputation: 51

Jan 19, 2009, 06:05 PM

Hey ZGuy,
    You seem to know what you are doing. The fact that she said "dont contact me" will help you keeping away from calling her... respect her wish. This also applies for msn, Facebook, and anything like that. Even though she is the one who asked for no contact this will help you too. You can't be waiting for her to call either--any time you spend waiting for her is time wasted so keep this in mind. You want to make the best use of your time and spend it on someone more important--you! That's right focus on yourself, not only to get distracted and not think about her--but also to make yourself better, to improve. You probably know that this relationship didn't fail only because of her confusion in life. You had to do with it also--who knows how--but learn from this and take it with you as something positive you have rescued from this painful situation.

It will take time, so be patiend with yourself, everyday will get better trust me. NC will help this process go on quicker as the less you know about her the better. No new info to hurt you. All that's been said is what will stay with you and the pain it caused will slowly diminish as you move on. Clear your head, keep busy, meet new friends, and after awhile you will be able to make a decision if you would take her back or not--if she wanted to.

Feel free to post any updates or even to vent is always good.

Jan 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
    I was wondering
    With she said "do not call me"
    Is it possible for me to call her 1.5 weeks or 2 weeks later?
    If she answers, we'll just talk about small talk... like hi, how is she doing, and her school and if she doesn't asnwer should I leave a message asking "how u doing, been wondering how ur doing..if u get the chance give me a call back." something like that small
    Or is that a bad idea
    Also would it be OK if I call one of her roommates, or her sister(also her roommate) to see how's she's doing?

Jan 19, 2009, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZGuy View Post
    I was wondering
    with she said "do not call me"
    is it possible for me to call her 1.5 weeks or 2 weeks later?
    if she answers, we'll just talk about small talk... like hi, how is she doing, and her school and if she doesnt asnwer should i leave a message asking "how u doing, been wondering how ur doing..if u get the chance give me a call back." something like that small
    or is that a bad idea
    also would it be ok if i call one of her roommates, or her sister(also her roommate) to see hows shes doin?
    NO! Save your dignity. Don't call as it will do you no good. If she wants to talk she will call. Start to move on to a life that revolve around her.

Jan 19, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Is there anything I can do to fix the relationship?
    Cause I feel so helpless sitting here doing nothing...
    Most of my friends say it will get easier over time
    But I know it won't. Because I've fallen for her... and she knows that too

Jan 19, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZGuy View Post
    is there anything i can do to fix the relationship?
    cause i feel so helpless sitting here doing nothing...
    most of my friends say it will get easier over time
    But i know it won't. because I've fallen for her... and she knows that too
    I'll be the first one to tell you it does get easier with time. You feel helpless because the sad truth is at this current time you are helpless as far as this relationship goes. You can't force her to be with you. The absolute best thing you can do at this point is no contact. You will be stronger after all this over. You can start by treating this as a Break up. I know it sucks but the sooner you can start to gather yourself. I went through a similar thing and if you want to know that life does move on and gets easier check out my post here :
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ak-256100.html

Jan 19, 2009, 08:15 PM

At the start of the relationship... like 4 days into the relationship
    She tells me that she keeps everything to herself and that she's independent.
    So I asked to see her to come outside her house, we sat at the park across her house and I told her... Whatever it is, whatever your dream is I want to be there with you.

She starts crying happily and hugs me and said... "I don't deserve you." smiling at the same time

After that day everything was smooth until the last couple months.
    A month before we almost broke up cause of stupid argument I brought up
    Then when we went to San Francisco for a trip over the New Year
    Then this argument that drove it to the "taking a break"
    I cannot accept to look as a "breakup" because I am determined

During the last phone call... she asked... what if I do not see you in my future. I told her "Then obviously I am doing something wrong... I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong... then fix it and try to win you back."

I think it's my fault that drove her away. Cause most of the arguments between me and her were started by me.

During the last phone call, I told her that I would change for my mistakes.

She knows I'm the type of guy who does not give up easily.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 10:16 PM
    I cannot accept to look as a "breakup" because I am determined
    So you will not give her what she asked for?

Ok so after more talking, she says "I want to take a break." I agreed with her and told her that I understand that and whatever she wants to do i respect her and her decisions.................
    And she said that i can not call her
    so i told her that I would be waiting for her call then.
    If you don't accept her decision, your not keeping your word!
    zeeniee Posts: 341, Reputation: 63

Jan 19, 2009, 10:54 PM

Hey TheZGuy,
    I think you need to go NC for yourself and give her the space she needs like she asked.

In the meantime, start thinking about YOU, start doing things for YOU and fill you day up as much as you can with things that keep you happy and going.

If she wants you back- trust me- she will tell you loud and clear- there will be no confusion. Best thing for you to do - is step right back, and give yourself time and space. You never know- you may see things differently in a few weeks time
    Good luck
    Zeeniee
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:11 AM

I think it is pretty clear she KNOWS you are not a part of her future, and her towing you around for all of this time is just a way to showing you she does not want to hurt you. She was also probably trying to do everything she could to convince herself she still loved you, but it just didn't work. When relationships go south, it isn't always something YOU are doing wrong; it is something that just isn't meant to be. It isn't about winning someone back or correcting every single mistake/flaw that you have. If that was the case, your entire life would be dedicated towards a perfection that is unattainable...

You must leave her alone, as the others tell you, and please do not think of this as fixable by your actions. Even if you don't "give up easily," dude, neither do I, but that just leads to more BS, drama, confusion, hurt... get the pattern. You have given up on yourself for the benefit of making someone else happy. That is not fair, and that is not how life works.

Cut contact, and get your head out of the clouds. Good luck to you sir.

Carry on... :cool:
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 08:13 AM

Yep, listen to everyone here. You need to start moving forward with getting your life back in order and making it something you are happy with, without her.
    This relationship is done, whether you accept this or not is your call. The sooner you do accept the reality of the situation, the sooner you can start healing.

Distance kills relationships especially when they start as short-distance and move to being long-distance. I and many other people have found this out first hand. You and her are probably pretty young, so you will be going through some significant changes in the next few years.

Cut your losses now while your still somewhat ahead and start the rebuilding process now.

It will be difficult. We all know how you feel, as we have all been through our own break-up situations. You feel like your relationship is the exception and you don't want to give, but seriously listen when we tell you to not call her and not to put your life on hold. Like Tal pointed out, she even told you not to call her and she wants to explore options. I don't know what else she would need to tell to make anymore obvious that this is over. It's time to accept the harsh reality and start making the changes in your life that will allow you to come out of the situation on top.

Jan 20, 2009, 11:03 AM

Yeah I kind of saw this happening halfway through the relationship...
    I was just foolish not to accept it.
    But all I can do now is hope for the best and expect the worst by her decisions when she calls
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 11:24 AM

If she calls. You can't let false hope lead you by the nose. You need to look at this in black and white. She doesn't want you to call. She is weighing her options in terms of education, career choice, and personal relationships.

If you wait around for HER decision, you are setting yourself up for heartbreak.

This is a time to make YOUR decision to rebuild your life and move on without her.

I recommend you start now, rather than wait for her to make up her mind. To me, it sounds like she has already, and her plans don't include you.

Take her words for what they literally mean and start on the path of making a happy and emotionally healed future for yourself. You can no longer worry about her decisions in life and her choices. It is now time to make your life and make your own choices with out her influence.

You hold the power to make this a painful experience, or one that you grow from.

Jan 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
    Quick question what is NC?

I'm hoping that she calls me with the good news, but IF it is not, I am willing to give her whatever she asks for.
    I do love her and if she will be happy alone or not, then I accept it and let her go.

Just waiting, right now just keeping myself busy with schoolwork and friends

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When unduring a huge break-up, what ways can you stay mentaly "healthy"? [ 4 Answers ]

Frizzles foshizzles? I'm pulling an ice cream tub moment right now.

"Taking a break conv."? Can someone decrypt girl code? [ 7 Answers ]

so my question is about a conv. Me and I guess know my ex had about 6-days ago, a conversation I knew was coming but was dreading at the same time, I had dated her for 8months (well the next day after this conv. Would have been 8 months, I'm a senior in high school btw) A little back ground might...

View more questions Search