Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elvis1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Relocation Expenses & Deductions
    I was relocated from the west coast to the east coast. My company paid for the whole move plus some. They reported $4100 in box 12 as excludable income. The rest $18,000 for moving my household goods, cars, and my cost of moving lodging and mileage was included as income in box 1. They also grossed up some of the expenses but not these. Does any of this qualify as a moving expense that I can deduct?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 07:12 PM

Yes, you can claim moving expenses which are not paid by your employer or were shown in box 1. Use Form 3903. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 10:37 AM
    This case SCREAMS for professional tax help. The chances of improperly reporting the deductions on moves that have both tax-free and taxable reimbursements are extremely high and thus should be handled by a competent tax professional.
    ruinthere2k6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis1960 View Post
    I was relocated from the west coast to the east coast. My company paid for the whole move plus some. They reported $4100 in box 12 as excludable income. The rest $18,000 for moving my household goods, cars, and my cost of moving lodging and mileage was included as income in box 1. They also grossed up some of the expenses but not these. Does any of this qualify as a moving expense that I can deduct?
    Hey Elvis1960

I have the same issue almost but I was given $10k for my move and all reported on box1 with salary. I was tax withheld as well so I need to deduct this amount but no receipts since I lost all of them. Is it OK to deduct $10k from my tax? Any suggestions. I also moved from west coast to east coast.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2009, 02:50 PM
    See my earler post about using a tax professional!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocation expenses deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim...

Deductions for College Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

May parents of high school seniors deduct their child's college application fees, SAT fees, etc. when filing their federal tax return for 2006. Thanks...

Employment and Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

I worked in FL for 6 months last year while the family remained in MA. In December I left the job in FL for an opportunity in MA. We were in the process of relocating but my spouses situation with her employer changed and could no longer make the move. During this time I incurred significant...

F1+CPT+ Relocation expenses [ 1 Answers ]

HI Atlanta Tax Expert! I am a student (Indian nationality) on F1( less the 2 years) and I am going to wrk on CPT in San Diego from July till Dec and thereafter either on h1 or on OPT. I was wondering what will be the tax rate applicable to my relocation allowance? Also, what net tax rate...

Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My firm reimbursed $3000 of relocation expenses, but some of those included meals, househunting trip expenses etc, which are not tax-deductible under the rules I seem to be reading online. However on my w-2 in box 12, the amount is $3000. When I'm figuring out the excess of what I was reimbursed...

View more questions Search