Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 19, 2009, 02:16 PM
    6th sense?
    You know how lets say, you were reading a book in your room. Your back is facing the door. The door is open. Then, you feel and sense someone is going to walk in the door without hearing their footstep, and you turn around and there they are, standing there?

I was talking to a friend one day, then I feel that someone is sneaking up on me, then I turned around, and there they were, about to say boo! At me.

What is that? The 6th sense? What kind of instinct tells you something ahead of time? Even though, I do not believe in ghost and things like that, this sounds very weird. :confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 02:18 PM

It's called precognition. I have this gift and it comes and goes. Most of the psychic gifts come and go in people. Not everyone is talented enough to keep the gift constant though.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 03:16 PM

Hi, this isn't precognition (which doesn't exist), your body is able to pick up on things subconsciously. The way that sound echoes in the room, the movement of air when it used to be still, the slight heat from another person. There are many things that can give away the presence of someone coming from behind you.

(and by the way, humans have at least 9 senses, not 5 ;))
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Jan 22, 2009, 11:19 PM

I'd go with a combination of the previous answers. Intuition puts together subtle cues that we pick up on many levels. I read somewhere that there is a new medical field called "neurocardiology," that specifically concerns the nerve structures in and around the human heart--apparently the heart has as many or more synapses than the brain. And our digestive systems and other organs have nerve networks, as does our skin, etc. So our ordinary waking consciousness thinks in terms of linear time, past, present, and future, and in terms of subject and object and breaking things down into recognizable parts, but the part of our cerebral cortex that does all this conscious thinking is only a very small part of our total nervous system. We are able to function on many levels of consciousness--in other posts I've compared it to a car radio we can dial into many frequencies, besides the usual waking, objective, more-or-less logical consciousness that is normal awareness (at least in this culture).

Even in our culture, we understand that we can be aware with different aspects of our being than just our cerebral cortex consciousness. That's why we have expressions like "follow your heart," "gut feeling," "made my skin crawl." As we shift into these other levels where intuition is possible, we get away from linear time to something more global, like a moving ocean of time all around us, and we get away from identifying discrete objects to sensing and recognizing patterns. How far can that go? As far as the mind goes, as far as the imagination goes. Can it "predict the future"? I for one have had experiences which it would be very hard to interpret except in terms of seeing the future, seeing beyond linear time (besides, those other interpretations are boring). It's shown up in my life in some big ways on occasion, but I regularly get the little ones, like being able to call someone and know by the sound of the first ring whether they are home or not.

The ability to do that is no different than the ability to swim fast or play music or do calculus or write poetry. Anyone can learn the basics, and anyone who practices will improve. That said, some folks have more of a knack for this or that kind of work than others.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 11:36 PM

I freak people out, when they tap me on my right shoulder and I turn around to my left and there they are.

This week I "saw" what I think was my first "presence". A scurrying or running away of sorts. What it was, I don't know. It may have been my deceased father. There is a cousin that's been given a few weeks to live, but I didn't know that at the time of the scurrying presence. My mind has been in more of a meditating type state lately so I'm not surprised.

I've also been in a "broadcast mode" recently directing energy into events I want to see happen.

My mind is hyperactive at the moment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sometimes I don't like my sixth sense [ 5 Answers ]

Recently, My sixth sense told me of an accident the day before someone hit be in the rear. Minor damage. Recently, My sixth sense told me that a friend wouldn't be working at his current job. Sure enough, not working. My sixth sense told me that my grandfather died. That on awakened me at...

Trying to Make Sense of It all [ 112 Answers ]

So here I sit at work - browsing the Internet for a definitive answer, but I have come to realize there is no definitive answer to my question. Here is the background: All is fine and well in my life - great boyfriend of 4 years, great family and a few great friends (which I have done on...

No Fashion sense [ 5 Answers ]

What styles to choose for my grandson's wedding.As a senior what would be appariate

Colour Sense [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Sir/Madam Please answer me Of which colour a red rose will be appeared in blue light? And Why? Thanking You

Sense and Sensibility [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a question about Jane Austin's book "Sense and Sensibility". How can you compare Elinor's and Marianne's character? Thanks

View more questions Search