Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arrifreeze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 02:14 PM
    Goodman heat pump not working properly
    I built a new house 6 months ago and had a co-worker/friend (20ys hvac experience) install my hvac. A goodman GPH15 packaged heat pump 3.5 ton with a honeywell th8320 thermostat. The air worked great in the summer but the heat is not working properly. He has been out many times trying to solve it. When it is moderately cold outside the unit will do this:
    Themostat clicks on
    Fan and compressor on unit come on
    Unit blows moderatly warm for the first 5-10 min and then starts getting cooler and cooler over time until it feels like recycled air without heat.
    After 5-10 minutes of this, I will hear the unit exterior fan shut off and the compress really bearing down (gets pronounced louder and sounds bad).
    Immediately followed by a click and red light on the thermostat comes on.(emergency heat)
    Still blows cold air.
    After about 4-5 minutes of this. The unit fan will come back on the compresor quiets down (red light turns off) and heat will come from the vents.
    Repeated again and again.

If I turn the thermostat to emergency heat unit will put out heat. But my bill was doubled.

The other night it got down to 15 degrees and the unit did this all night without stopping and still could not maintain the temp in the house. Again new house, well built and good insulation. 1800 sq ft with a 3.5 ton it should have kept up.

A few months ago my guy said that it was the reversing valve. (goodman had a tech bulletin about this unit's valve was to big and needed a smaller one). Goodman sent the part and it cost me $400 to have someone else put it in (my guy was too busy and did not have the 410 refrigerant) Still same problem. Had service guy come back and check if there was a leak. No
    Still same problem
    Then my guy complained to goodman and asked for their tech to come look. They just sent a brand new unit to replace it instead!! New unit been in about 1 week.

Guess what.:eek:

Same problem?? :mad:
    Am I crazy. I'm now questioning myself. I'm asking myself if this is normal operating for a goodman heat pump.
    Now I wonder if the thermostat is bad or there is a wiring problem.

Help!!
    arrifreeze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 02:21 PM

Forgot to say that the unit is all electric.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 03:55 PM

You could bypass the tstat to see if unit runs OK wired straight,, it just won`t stop running without the satisfied tstat to turn it off,, this should have been done from the start
    problemwgoodman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 06:04 AM

Was this problem ever resolved? I have a similar problem with a Goodman unit in my house
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by problemwgoodman View Post
    Was this problem ever resolved? I have a similar problem with a Goodman unit in my house
    We don`t know. About 75% of people who write in with questions don`t bother to come back and give us resultes
    mgroves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
    This link might help if your problem is similar to mine. Read the entire thread for all information.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=5502382#post5502382

Mike
    Portland, OR

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amana heat pump not heating properly [ 2 Answers ]

I have two heat pumps one for upstairs and one for main level.Upstairs blower is in attic and main level one is in basement.I can hear then blower and feel air coming out of registers upstairs.Main level can't feel air coming out and it sounds like the fan is stuck or something because I can hear a...

AC Heat unit pump does not work properly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a deluxe high efficiency comfort maker the fan stop and I have to turn it by something inserting in it, so that the fan restarts to turn, but it stops after 10 or 15 minutes later, can you help me please? The model # is YE024G and the serial number is L934556389 I do not know what is the...

Heat pump does not work properly [ 7 Answers ]

I have a new goodman 5 ton heat pump with a programmable robertshaw t-stat. It works great in a/c and elec heat. The heat pump will work fine for the frist cycle. When it does the second cycle it starts OK, but when the compressor starts the blower in the house will slow down. It does it for about...

Heat pump not heating properly [ 6 Answers ]

My Carrier heat pump is not working properly. The air flow coming out the vents is drastically lower than it normally is. The maximum room temperature achivable is 65 degrees when the outside temperature is 20 degrees even when the auxiliary heat is on and with constant running. The air filters...

Heat pump not cooling or heating properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my Rheem heat pump. The indoor unit seems to be fine and the blower motor is running. The outside unit seems to be the problem. The fan only runs part of the time sometimes not kicking on at all other time kicking on for several minutes then kicking off before the temp is...

View more questions Search