Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sneezerspalace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Down shift problem on 98 Taurus
    I own a 1998 Ford Taurus SEL with the small V6 and automatic transmission.

I am having the following problem.

When ever you slow the car up to below approx. 30 miles per hour then push the
    Accelerator to resume normal speed, the transmission drops from drive to first gear
    Giving quite a jerk.

This does not happen all the time, but probably around 40% of the time.

The car has 123k miles on it, and the transmission fluid is changed every 35k, with the fluid just again being changed.

I have had the car to 2 different transmissions shops with each one driving the car with
    The computer monitor hooked up. Both times the car dropped to first as described, but the computer registered no errors.

The first shop suggested that a motor mount was bad, but my repair shop says that the mounts are OK.

The second shop suggested that a throttle position switch in the air intake was the problem, so I had the switch replaced. The problem is still there.

Anybody have an idea as to how to solve this problem.

Dave
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 05:43 PM
    The problem could be with your preventive maintenance program. I have a 2000 Taurus, with the 3.0L Duratec Engine, and AX4N transmission. I hope you have been dropping/cleaning the pan and changing the filter every 35,000 miles (which should be no more than 30,000 miles), not just using a fluid exchange machine. These transmissions generate quite a bit of crud between changes. I suspect varnish is developing on the servos. I only use Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF or Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF in my AX4N and change the fluid and filter every 25,000 miles. It's best to do a complete drain, including the torque converter. My Taurus gets driven hard in the Texas heat and shifts flawlessly. Automatic transaxles are electro-mechanical marvels that are more involved than engines these days. They are the weak link in vehicles and need to be carefully maintained. I recommend you only use a full synthetic Mercon V rated ATF. They will keep your transmission much cleaner, cooler, and shifting like new (especially in extreme temperatures) for years of hassle-free driving. The flow characteristics of full synthetic ATFs are vastly superior to regular Mercon V and I would change your fluid again, this time using Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF ($5.68 per qt. at WalMart). This will more thoroughly clean your transmission and likely eliminate your downshift problem.

Install a B&M transmission drain plug in the pan to make it easier next time to change your ATF.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shift Key! [ 1 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page and also in an email message I have to push the shift key the same time I click on the link. How can that be fixed so only clicking on it will open it? Thanks, Jim

Have to hold Shift key [ 2 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page, and also in an email message, I have to hold down the Shift key and Enter key at the same time. This just started a little while ago. Is there someway I can reset or change it so all I have to do is hit the Enter key again? Thanks, Jim

92 Taurus V6 3.0 Tranny problem [ 4 Answers ]

Please Help, I have a family of 11 who relies on our Taurus. (of course, we don't all fit in at once, ha ha) Had a front right half-axle that needed replaced. I did the work and took it 1 mile to the store on a test drive. On the way back, power just left. The throtle still would rev the...

88 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Have 88 Ford Taurus with auto xmission. Xmission will go in reverse fine, but will not engage into drive unless the vehicle is going at or over 15 mph. Fluid level checks out fine. Any advice would be appreciated. evaneric2

View more questions Search