Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlrg123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Small wedding still traditional?
    I'm currently in college studying Event Management to be an event/wedding coordinator. I love the stuff! And with as much as I know, I can't make decisions on my own wedding. I'd like to do a theme since it's much more fun to plan. I'm from Florida and am always around the beach themes which I know out of town guests would love. I really like the colors of ideas for summer too. But I imagine something more formal and intimate. Anyway, I'm hoping for a small wedding under 50 guests. I don't want the stress of something big. But my other problem is whether it will be weird to incorporate all the traditions in a small wedding? Usually their more unique but I want the garter/bouquet toss, dancing, partying, etc. I just think with less people there, it will end up being less of a party and more of a get together with an itinerary. So... theme ideas? Tradition okay with less than 50 guests? Thanks in advance.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 31, 2006, 02:13 PM
    I like the beach theme but look where I live -- I am biased. LOL

I once attended a fairly small (less than 50 guests) traditional wedding that took place at the end of a dock (with permission from the city) where the guests were all arranged in boats! Once they were wed, they stepped aboard. We all then sailed to the reception hall and partied with all the usual traditions. It was quite fun with a mix of formal and casual-- I still can see the bride in her long white bridal gown stepping barefoot onto the boat! So my point is that mixing elements of formal and casual can work, just don't overwork it. A theme needs to be subtle or it can take over, you know what I mean?

My wedding was quite the mix too. A small afternoon wedding, less than 30 guests but with elements of traditonal and casual both (no giving away the bride, no forever promises in our vows since we'd both been divorced) in an elegant home of a wealthy couple with a fancy catered dinner, very dressy but the whole thing was done potluck -- each friend was responsible for some element of it in lieu of a gift, even our clothes were made by one friend-- so it was more a patchwork quilt themed wedding LOL. The invitations had a misspelling on them and the cake wasn't exactly my favourite but point is-- it worked for us and everyone seemed to have a blast too!
    pcglue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 06:11 PM
    It's your wedding, you can do whatever you want! I don't think including traditions would be weird in a small wedding. A small wedding is still a wedding and any wedding tradition could still apply.

As for theme, a beach theme sounds like fun! Or could you have it on a boat?

Good luck with your planning!
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Aug 9, 2006, 07:14 PM
    I think personally a small wedding means a lot more fun. Everyone will let their hair down and party. Go for it. A beach wedding sounds good to me. Have fun and congratulations.
    Amythest Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Aug 17, 2006, 11:53 PM
    It is your wedding do what you like. My sister and her husband had a small wedding, on a cliff over looking a beautiful ocean and lighthouse in san diego. It was so beautiful and surreal. You could perhaps have a summer neach wedding, where mixing the summer colors with the each theme can work. OOO one thing to look out for, beaches can get windy unexpectedly which means that cake you spent however much on, is now sandy. I think smaller get togther parties are fun, just be sure that within your small buch of people are some people who you know will "liven the party" or who will "jump in and get it started". Because if every one there is so conservative and so scared of what they look like then no one is going to really "party". As long as you got your group of people who are going to get things started and have fun then people will tend to join in. Be careful of inviting so and so who will get drunk and tell of the time when you... ( insert worst possible wedding ruining moment stories of you life in here). But I also agree with valinors sorrow, don't over think or book it, have a "plan" but be willign to flucuate. Parties over planned aren't as fun. Also is tehre alchohal or not? That can change everything.
    Jolaedana Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2006, 10:37 PM
    I had a wedding with 48 people including myself and my fiancée. We did all the traditional stuff, and it was FANTASTIC... so much more intimate, and everyone that was there was the people who really wanted to be, and who really mattered.

We spent maybe 2 grand on the whole thing, cooked all our own food, and had the reception on my parents back deck.

I guess my point is what others have said- do what makes you happy- the wedding is for YOU. If you want the traditions, go for it!
    leannewin21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 04:58 AM
    Hello I got married this year in July and only had a small wedding but I still did some of the older things , white dress dad giving me away, not seeing my hubby to be the night before and things like that they made my wedding day special even though it was small .;)
    starryeyed Posts: 49, Reputation: 6

Sep 6, 2006, 10:45 AM
    We're getting married in an official office (germany!! ), with a total of fifty guests, and we're still planning to do the traditional things that make a wedding a wedding and not just the signing of a contract or a normal party... Flowers, white dress, cake, poetry, music, speeches...
    The beamter (official doing the ceremony) is more than obliging... And we have a definite budget, so, like Val, are having lots of friends give us gifts that they have made or can do...
    I look at it that it's our wedding, and there are certain traditions that have to happen so that we feel that that's really it... But that doesn't have to be extravagant, either... And seems to mean more that way too!
    I guess symbolism and sentiment don't rely on a price tag...
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Sep 6, 2006, 11:34 AM
    ABSOLUTELY. Congratulations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About the wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting merried on Saturday and I am trying to find some good songs that can be played at the reception. Is there anyone out there that can give me any names of songs. It can be any song. The group that is going to be there is a mix of young and old as me and the sonn to be are only 26, but on...

30 fixed IO vs traditional 30 yr [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the type of mortagage that is best for me and my wife and saw a 30 yr fixed with an interest only option and am curious to know how they difference and if I am going to be paying more for one as opposed the other. Thanks

Replacing traditional cast iron tub with fiberglass shower unit-HELP [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are growing older (Yeah, but I’m probably still older than you!);) and we are considering replacing one of the tubs in our two bath house with a step-in fiberglass shower unit. My wife broke her hip two years ago and she experienced major problems getting in and out of the tubs....

MLM against Traditional Trading [ 1 Answers ]

:rolleyes: What are the different between Multi Level Marketing and Traditional marketing, What are the impact of MLM toward the Traditional trading.

View more questions Search