Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manforthejob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Voltage in neutral wire
    While replacing burnt outlet from portable heater (I didn't do it!) got 8 volt reading between ground and nuetral could device elswher on circuit be causing this ?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 01:08 PM
    8 volts with a digital meter is likely nothing more than phantom voltage. I would not worry about it. The breaker was off and you tested the wires to a known ground, right??
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 19, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    8 volts with a digital meter is likely nothing more than phantom voltage. I would not worry about it. The breaker was off and you tested the wires to a known ground, right?????

Stan Forty:

I'm curious (as I do not know the codes through and through as you all do), but if the neutural is bonded to the ground in the service panel, then shouldn't any low voltage present on either the ground or neutral zero out due to being on the same potential?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 07:49 PM

I disagree. I think 8 volts is too high.

Makes me think that you lost ground somewhere.

Jan 19, 2009, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    Stan Forty:

I'm curious (as I do not know the codes through and through as you all do), but if the neutural is bonded to the ground in the service panel, then shouldn't any low voltage present on either the ground or neutral zero out due to being on the same potential?
    No, because the neutral is isolated from the grounds all the way back to the panel.

Google "phantom voltage" and you will get a ton of info on it.
    Here is the Wiki page (although I acknowledge Wiki is not always right): Phantom voltage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 22, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I disagree. I think 8 volts is too high.

Makes me think that you lost ground somewhere.

I agree 100%. There should be little or no voltage present between ground and neutral. There is something wrong here. Any "stray" would be 1 volt or less. Check back to the service box. If in doubt , call an electrician.

Jan 22, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    I agree 100%. There should be little or no voltage present between ground and neutral. There is something wrong here. Any "stray" would be 1 volt or less.
    Really? Do you own a good digital meter? Youv'e never read 5-10 volts or more where NONE existed?

Are you familiar with the term "phantom voltage"?? It is a REAL issue, and is not something I just thought up.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 22, 2009, 04:32 PM

Try putting an ammeter between neutral and earth ground... that is a more important factor. If there is stray current. Then, I must insist, there IS a problem.
    And to answer your question, never on one of my installations,, ever.

Jan 22, 2009, 04:48 PM
    If there is stray current. Then, I must insist, there IS a problem.
    Stray current is NOT phantom voltage. Not even close.

never on one of my installations,,,,ever.
    Gee, me neither. But I have seen it in many existing settings where absolutely NO problem existed.
    I suggest you look it up. It is not a new thing.
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Jan 22, 2009, 05:27 PM

There should be no voltage on a neutral wire.. Stan you are correct about phantom voltage if you are using a non true rms meter I have seen 5-8 volt differences with the inexpensive meters. That being said voltage on the neutral could come from a lot of different things i.e.. A TV plugged into a non polarized outlet backwards.. (ask any cable installer about this one)..
    "Man" try this turn the main breaker off in the house and check the neutral to ground reading. If it drops to '0' then the problem is inside . Turn main breaker back on and one by one check each individual breaker on to off to see when the voltage goes away. When it does go away that is the problem circuit. If when turning off the main breaker the voltage does not go away call your electric utility they should be able to isloate the problem.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 05:31 PM

I would check for voltage between the Neutral and Ground at the Panel.
    I thought Phantom was power being supplied to a circuit, even though it is off, a TV needs the Ir receiver to have power, so it can turn it on, draws power when the TV is off.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 05:51 PM

I know how those voltages get generated and they are real, but are not supposed to be there.

The one place they are not usually not from is the input bias current of the meter. The 10 M input Z swamps it out.

Ground loops are not phantom voltages.

One that might be considered a phantom voltage is when a ground opens and a device with a 3 prong plug and an RFI filter dumps to what it thinks is ground. The leakages there can be an AC impeadance or a DC resistance and can act as a voltage divider.
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Jan 22, 2009, 06:01 PM

Kiss can phantom voltage be equated to capacitance. We get that a lot on long runs of underground cable where you will get voltage readings to ground but you can bleed it off with a light bulb on a pigtail and get the reading to '0'.. obviously the light bulb won't light which is how we know it is capacitance and not real voltage.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 05:48 AM

pelle, that is voltage, however, it has no amps to do anything with, my belief.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage on the neutral [ 1 Answers ]

With the breaker on said circuit live and active, I noticed the neutral for that circuit was loose. Took it out from its termination screw to check it for corrosion and it sparked. Put my meter across the said neutral and the ground lug and was getting a voltage reading of 120ish. This so far...

Voltage on the neutral - How? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I've run into a "situation" I'd like advice on. The job was simply replacing an outlet. Inside the outlet box are 2 12/2 cables with ground. The outlet is a standard 110V, and the top and bottom receptacles are connected (in other words, it has not been severed to form...

Decrease the voltage between neutral & earthing wire [ 2 Answers ]

How can we decrease the voltage between neutral & earthing wire? Voltage between neutral and earthing is called stray voltage how can we reduce it.

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Voltage on neutral [ 3 Answers ]

I just ran a completely new 10 gauge wire for my newly relocated clothes dryer. I wired up the breaker and turned if off, and turned the main breaker back on. When I measure voltage between the black and white OR between the red and white even though the breaker is OFF I get 1.3 volts. How...

View more questions Search