Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 31, 2006, 11:50 AM
    1997 Chey Cavalier
    Okay, I hope someone can help me with mycar problem.

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier with about 157K miles on it. In Sept 2005 I had a new transmission put in.

Well all was fine until about late May. It began this kind of "burping" feeling under the hood.

It has had a tune up, new plug wires, oil change, but the "burping" continues.

Every once in a while the ETS Off light comes on as well as the ABS light. They don't always come on, and sometimes go off for no apparent reason.

I hope this makes sense.:confused:
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Does anyone know anything about this?

I have to begin driving 100 miles per day in this car for school and am afraid it will die at the worst possible moment.

I have to rely on this car for the next 2 years and need to take great care, so I am hoping someone can help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Here's what I was able to find on the Internet:

ETS is Enhanced Traction System is used to stop wheel slip through reducing engine output. And if the light is on it doesn't mean you will spend x amount of dollars to fix it! It just means that ETS has been disabled because you have a engine problem and the computer cannot reduce power to the wheels because the engine might stall so the computer disables the system! Now some cars come with a switch by the shifter that turns on and off the system because if you get stuck in the snow traction control will keep you stcuk.

Take my word on this for I am a GM Tech who is a Master ASE with L1 certified!

Generally when the ets off light is on (the only light on and not along with the check engine light) you may have a wheel speed sensor not responding. This can happen due to metallic dust on the sensor. Clean the 4 sensor locations at the local spray wash (each located on the hubs - look for the wires going to each)
    ---------------------------------------
    From what's said above, I would have a mechanic remove each ABS sensor, using an external torx wrench, and clean it with a spritziled rag (don't use compressed air). Should be a very simple job. See if this solves the problem before doing anything else.

As a nursing student, who will be putting 100 miles a day on a Cavalier, I'd recommend you use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic engine oil. Change your oil and filter every 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. When you change your transmission fluid next time, which should be around September 2007, switch to the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF and change the transmission filter again. If you take care of your engine and transmission, everything else is financially more manageable.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 02:44 PM
    I will see what I can do, but to me ETS means electron transport system, (medicine), so when it comes to cars I know they eat gas and that is about it. I do understand that here in TN since we have no snow or ice that this should not be a problem, is this correct?

What about the ABS light, is that the same sort of thing?

Also, this "burping" it happens off an on, but I notice it mostly when I am at a stop and then have to pull out into traffic, there seems to be very little energy.

Something happened today that gets me even more curious, I stopped the car, left it in drive, and when I hit the gas it squealed and died. I had a hard time restarting after this.

Thank you for your info so far, my questions may sound silly, but I really have to rely on this car for the next two years.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 03:02 PM
    When you had the tuneup, did they replace your spark plugs with the exact ACDelco plugs that came in your car? Only use AC Delco plugs recommended for your exact 1997 Cavalier engine. I would make sure your fuel filter has recently been replaced. I would also go to Autozone and buy a bottle of Regaine fuel injector cleaner and pour it into your fuel tank (do this every 6 months). This will clean your injectors and fuel system.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Well, as for the spark plugs, he said that they were fine, but the spark plug wires were not, so he changed those.

Everything was fine for a few weeks then it all started over again.

When I pour the fuel injector cleaner in, do I need a specific number of gallons of gas in the vehicle.

Also, I have been told that regular is okay unless you have a performance engine, is this true?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 03:57 PM
    When you get down to 1/4 tank, add the Regaine to your regular unleaded gasoline. Depending upon the size of your tank, you might only have to add half of the bottle.

Still, I would make sure you have the correct plugs in your engine. Many cross-reference plugs don't work well and it sounds like your electrical system could be behind your engine stumbling and stalling. Replace your plugs at half of the mileage recommended by GM. Personally, I would install new plugs if they are over 2 years old--you shouldn't have the type of problems you are experiencing. With only four cylinders, any problem with a plug will be easily noticed.

Cleaning the ABS sensors of dirt and metallic oxides will probably stop the ABS light from coming on.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Well, I am guessing now that I need to replace the plugs.

The mechanic I last took it to said that they were the "original" plugs but were in good shape. I am assuming that is way wrong listening to you, so I will make an appointment with another mechanic tomorrow.

I thank you for your help so far and I will keep you posted as to what the mechanic says.

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Janine
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 04:31 PM
    By the way, my wife used to be a nurse and hospital administrator, Baptist Memorial Hospital, Memphis.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 1, 2006, 04:58 PM
    At long last, a question about something other than a Honda. I attempted to put a favorable comment on txgreasemonkey but was not able. Obviously you know your trade. I am an old car guy who was left in the dust by computerized cars. I'm still a pretty good wrench on the old stuff.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Janine, try and get the fuel filter replaced as well. Then, give me an update.

Thank you, Dr. D, for your kind comment.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 05:44 PM
    TX, is the fuel filter expensive?

Is it something I could do myself if you talked me through it? I need to try and save as much money as possible.

I really appreciate your help, you really have no idea.

Also, this fuel additive, is it anything like something called Sea Foam (I think that is what I bought a few months ago at AutoZone).
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 05:57 PM
    No, the fuel filter should not be expensive. Give me the exact engine your car has and I'll do some research for you. Sea Foam is a throttle body cleaner. Regaine cleans the whole fuel system, including tank, lines, injectors, throttle body, valves, and top cylinder area. It really works and you cannot damage anything.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Where do I get the info to give you the engine?

Do I look on the door panel or where?

Is it the 2.2 liter something or other that you need?

I know human bodies, not car bodies. LOL
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Yes, stuff like 2.2L. Find out for sure.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Under the hood it says

ZAA
    2.2L

Does that make any sense?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Yes.

Many times there is a sticker under the hood that says what spark plugs to use. Do you see anything like that?

Is your's a Cavalier, Cavalier LS, Cavalier RS, or Cavalier Z24?
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Okay, would it be hard for me to replace the fuel filter on my own?

Now, remember I am not much bigger than my avatar and due to cancer have very little upper body strength. But I would love to surprise my hubby and do it all if I could.

We were told by a friend who works at AutoZone that SeaFoam was a fuel injector, gas tank, all of that cleaner. My hubby's 1994 Chevy van loves it, but it seems to do nothing for my Cavalier.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Sea Foam makes several types of cleaners. If you've used one that cleans the injectors, then save the money for now.

I suspect that good preventive maintenance could be all your car needs; i.e. new plugs, fuel filter, and possibly air filter. Something basic is not right. Have you had any major problems with the engine before? Does it use oil or seem like it's on its last legs?

Fuel Filter for a 1997 Cavalier, 4 cyl. 134 cu. in. 2.2L OHV engine:

. Autozone: Deutsch FF4508, $6.99
    . Advance Auto: Purolator F54714, $6.96

You would need to locate it on your car, disconnect negative battery terminal, probably depressurize fuel system by opening gas cap, place rags under filter and carefully remove and replace it. Appears to be threaded on one end and neoprene tubing on the other. You might be able to do it yourself.

My father's little Toyota pickup recently died on the road, due to a clogged fuel filter. He was finally able to get it restarted, but he barely limped home. He changes his every couple of years, but, obviously, something happened in the interim. That's why I'm concerned about your Cavalier. Your fuel filter may never have been changed.

Air Filter for a 1997 Cavalier, 4 cyl. 134 cu. in. 2.2L OHV engine:

. Autozone: STP SA3916, $4.79
    . Advance Auto: Purolator A33590, $6.44

You should definitely be able to change your air filter. Locate air filter cover, undue fasteners, remove old filter, wipe down air box with a damp cloth and allow to dry, install new filter, and reassemble.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Air filter is perfect, hubby checked it today. Clean as a whistle.

When it comes to the fuel filter, will you be able to help me locate it if I describe what I see?

Where should I look?

I would like to do this tomorrow while he is at work.

I don't think we have Advance Auto here, I truly live in a one horse town.

REally, can you help me do this? You are really great in all your help. I really mean this. You have NO idea.

Does the fuel filter look like a little goldish, copper thingy in the front of the engine? A little smaller than a vegetable can?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Chevy Cavalier Computer [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was a way to remove the computer from the car and still be able to keep the engine running. From what I understand the ingition module will be able to fire properly (I may have been misinformed), but will the fuel injection system be able to run without the computer? ...

96 chevy cavalier leaking head gasket need advice [ 6 Answers ]

My 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticeable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? Will it hurt my motor? I'm afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do you think? So far as I can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the...

Cavalier Noises [ 1 Answers ]

Some people I know are giving me a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier, I don't know if it's 2 or 4 door, VIN #, or miles on it. They tell me that it is driveable but makes a little clunk noise when first put in reverse, but once it starts moving the noise is gone. They think it's the CV boot. Can anyone...

97 cavalier dash removal [ 0 Answers ]

I need help removeing the dash on my 97 cavalier, I got all the screws but one, the one right or the airbag, I can't find it, please help

Chevrolet Cavalier 2002 [ 2 Answers ]

All of a sudden, out of the blue, my car starts squeaking and creaking. Sounds like the front end is going to fall out. It is specifically when the tires go over a bump. Doesn't get worse when turning or pulling into my driveway. Does it need a lube? Is it the shocks? Is it the chassis? Help.

View more questions Search