Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 02:37 PM
    This is really more about having good brakes. Brake failure is the No. 1 fear of drivers, particularly women. Brake fluid should really be changed every 2 years.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Will keep that in mind. Hey, great pic.

Is that you? LOL
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Yes, I was in the Air Force. Picture taken over Otis AFB, MA (Cape Cod), going into a barrel roll.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 02:47 PM
    OMG, is that really you?

What a cool pic!!
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Are you going for your BSN at the University of Memphis?
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 04:17 PM
    I thought you asked about my BSN and U of M.

I am currently going for my AAS at DSCC, then will attend U of Memphis, GO TIGERS!!
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 05:17 PM
    You will enjoy nursing--it's a great career field.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 05:19 PM
    Thank you... I really do appreciate your help.

Oh, yeah, funny thing...

Nothing will be done to the car till Friday,

But when I ran some errands this afternoon it acted as though nothing was wrong.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 05:21 PM
    When I was in engineering school, there were many nursing students in my chemistry classes.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Oh, Chemistry is tough, especially if you get a professor who barely speaks english like I had.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 05:25 PM
    I had a Chinese lab assistant who wanted me to become a chemistry major, but all I wanted to do was become an aerospace engineer and be an Air Force test pilot.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 05:31 PM
    I always wanted my son to become interested in working on cars, planes, and electronics. I wasn't to be. He's a 32 year old securities lawyer, working in Los Angeles. However, he did learn something--he uses Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil in his car and regularly gets his brake fluid changed. He knows if he doesn't, he could have big problems on the L.A. freeways.

There's nothing worse when you are young and get that unexpected bill to rebuild an engine or transmission. I've been there and now try and help young people learn through my experiences. You can learn synthetically through the experiences of others or you can learn from the school of hard knocks.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 05:38 PM
    You are too funny!!
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Did you get your spark plugs and fuel filter?
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Will your plugs and fuel filter be installed today, as planned?
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Did you get your car fixed?
    Expert

Aug 5, 2006, 04:59 PM
    TX,

The car is running FANTASTIC now. Thank you for your help. It is almost like I have a new car.

Thanks again. I wish you were here as my mechanic. I cannot tell you how much help you have given.

Wonderful advice... You are GREAT!!
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Thank you! Did your mechanic replace the plugs and fuel filter? Did the ETS light go out with the new spark plugs?

Remember to:

. Record the work that was done in your Maintenance Log,

. Switch to synthetic oil next time (change at 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first), and
    . Change the brake fluid with Valvoline SynPower.

Good luck with your nursing studies and happy motoring!
    Expert

Aug 5, 2006, 06:38 PM
    He replaced the plugs and filter with the ones that you recommended. I printed out the log of our virtual conversation and he agreed you were right on the money.

However, he did say something about Castrol Oil and that it is better, what is your opinion on that.

Hubby recorded all the work and keeps all receipts.

You are a life saver. Thanks for all your help.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2006, 06:49 PM
    If price was not a factor, I would only use Amsoil or Mobil 1, which have pure polyalphaolefin (PAO) base oils. These are Group IV oils (best). Castrol Syntec is a "good" oil, but it is only a Group III oil. Castrol markets Group III oils at Group IV prices.

Castrol does make a "World Class" oil, however, in their German Castrol 0W-30. This is available at Autozone but not many other stores.

Cost is a factor, with most people, and I would recommend you only buy oils on great sales; e.g. Valvoline right now. Basically, if you buy any of the main brand synthetics at a great price, you have a great deal. The worst synthetic is better than the best conventional mineral oil.

In the Air Force, we only use synthetics in our jet engines, just like all commercial jet airliners.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Chevy Cavalier Computer [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was a way to remove the computer from the car and still be able to keep the engine running. From what I understand the ingition module will be able to fire properly (I may have been misinformed), but will the fuel injection system be able to run without the computer? ...

96 chevy cavalier leaking head gasket need advice [ 6 Answers ]

My 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticeable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? Will it hurt my motor? I'm afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do you think? So far as I can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the...

Cavalier Noises [ 1 Answers ]

Some people I know are giving me a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier, I don't know if it's 2 or 4 door, VIN #, or miles on it. They tell me that it is driveable but makes a little clunk noise when first put in reverse, but once it starts moving the noise is gone. They think it's the CV boot. Can anyone...

97 cavalier dash removal [ 0 Answers ]

I need help removeing the dash on my 97 cavalier, I got all the screws but one, the one right or the airbag, I can't find it, please help

Chevrolet Cavalier 2002 [ 2 Answers ]

All of a sudden, out of the blue, my car starts squeaking and creaking. Sounds like the front end is going to fall out. It is specifically when the tires go over a bump. Doesn't get worse when turning or pulling into my driveway. Does it need a lube? Is it the shocks? Is it the chassis? Help.

View more questions Search