Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twilley Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Furnace Does Not Turn on Automatically
    Sometimes when I have the furnace set on automatic it will not turn on when the temperature goes below the set point. All I have to do in order for it to work again is turn the furnace off then back on (I do this at the thermostat) and it will work fine for a day or two, then the same thing happens again. Is it the Thermostat?

Any and all help would be appreciated!!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Brand of furnace?
    Exact model number of furnace?
    Brand of thermostat?
    Exact model number on thermostat?

Feb 21, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Sorry it has taken me a while to respond. The reason for this is because right after I posted the question the problem stopped. But the problem has started up again. Here are the answers to you questions:

Brand of furnace- Ruud Deluxe 90 Plus
    Exact model number of furnace- UGED-06EMAES
    Brand of thermostat- Honeywell
    Exact model number on thermostat- T87F 23943 (I believe this is the model # as it was one of two #'s on the thermostat)

It seems that problem only occurs when it is realativley cold outside (below freezing).

Thanks for your time,
    Danny
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Does the circuit board on the furnace have a diagnostic LED? If so, check it the next time you experience this problem. Usually, a label describing the fault code translation can be found on the access panels of units equipped with self-diagnostics.

Feb 21, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I checked and do not believe the unit has a diagnostic LED. The unit is older maybe 10-15 years if that helps. You should also know that the thermostat is a non-electronic mercury dial thermostat.

Danny
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 01:34 PM
    If the action of switching the thermostat off/on causes the system to work again, the selector switch may be worn/oxidized. Mercury, eh? Sounds like it's time for a new one anyway. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it's still a good investment and riddance of a hazard.

Feb 21, 2009, 01:41 PM
    I am not 100% sure it is mercury but it sure looks like it. Can you give me an indication of where the selector switch is located?

Thanks again for your help.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 02:36 PM
    On the thermostat (heat/off/cool).
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 05:07 PM

I would start by replacing the thermostat, it may not solve the problem, but if will eliminate the thermostat as the problem. If you have an older Honeywell t87f thermostat, then is is most likely mercury. The coiled spring has most likely worn out, causing problems with accuracey. Try turning the thermostat all the way up next time the furnace fails, if it comes on, then you have a bad thermostat. If it doesn't, the problem is most likely somewhere else, but I would replace therm anyway. Please let us know how things work out.

Feb 22, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    If the action of switching the thermostat off/on causes the system to work again, the selector switch may be worn/oxidized. Mercury, eh? Sounds like it's time for a new one anyway. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it's still a good investment and riddance of a hazard.

Okay I changed the theromstat to an electronic one and checked the contections twice. But unfortunately the same problem exists. The furnace will come on then shut off before the desired tempurature is reached. If I manually turn off thermostat to the "off" position then back to the "on" position the furnace starts back up again, but still shuts off before the desired tempurature is reached.

Any help would be apprciated.

Danny
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 06:26 PM
    The new t-stat is still a good investment, sorry it didn't correct the problem. Switching the system off/on is cancelling a timed lockout imposed by the circuit board control. Since you have a condensing furnace and the problem seems more prevalent in colder weather, I would suggest checking the drain tubes and trap for blockage. Remove and flush thoroughly with water. Check the intake (if present) and exhaust pipes for blockage or horizontal sags which may be trapping water.
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 06:27 PM

Try cleaning the flame senser. Simple to do and doesn't cost you a thing. The flame senser will have one wire going to it, it will have one screw that holds it in place. It will be on the opposite side of the burner from the ingniter. Just remove it, clean it with an abbrasive cloth(sandpaper, sandcloth, steelwool, etc). Don't confuse it with the igniter. The flame senser will be a single probe. Please clean it and let us know if the furnace works. If it doesn't work after doing this, then we will take the next step.

Feb 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    try cleaning the flame senser. Simple to do and doesnt cost you a thing. The flame senser will have one wire going to it, it will have one screw that holds it in place. It will be on the opposite side of the burner from the ingniter. Just remove it, clean it with an abbrasive cloth(sandpaper, sandcloth, steelwool, etc). Dont confuse it with the igniter. the flame senser will be a single probe. Please clean it and let us know if the furnace works. If it doesnt work after doing this, then we will take the next step.

I have search the internet for pictures of where the flame seņor might be on the furnace but I have not had any luck. I also looked at my furnace with no luck. I tried to upload a picture of my furnace with no luck. Thanks for your help.

Danny
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Stay tuned, hvac1000 will eventually see this, post a pic of some flame sensors for you, and pad his retirement fund once again.:D
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 07:17 PM

Sorry Danny, I won't give out my email. Nothing personall, I just can't bring myself to do it. I suggest not giving yours out publicly either. If you want to give it out, maybe try sending it in a personal message.

I really do want to help you. If you could just give the make and model of your furnace, I should be able to look it up and locate flame senser. Good luck.

Feb 22, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Sorry Danny, i wont give out my email. Nothing personall, i just can't bring myself to do it. I suggest not giving yours out publicly either. If you want to give it out, maybe try sending it in a personal message.

I really do want to help you. If you could just give the make and model of your furnace, i should be able to look it up and locate flame senser. Good luck.
    No worries I completely understand. I really to appreciate your help. Here is the info you requested.

Brand of furnace- Ruud Deluxe 90 Plus
    Exact model number of furnace- UGED-06EMAES
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Sorry Danny, i wont give out my email.
    I'll sell it to you... or accept hush money from MGD not to... :D

Feb 22, 2009, 08:09 PM
    OK Danny lets try a cheap and quick test. Disconnect the R and W wires at the terminals at the furnace. Then jump the R and W terminals with a piece of wire or jumper cord. Turn the furnace back on and let it run. It should continue to run non stop. The temperature will continue to rise in the home but no harm will be done. Stay by the furnace and watch it operate and note any deviation from the constant burner running. After 10-15 minutes of this turn the unit off and report back with exactly what happened.

Feb 22, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Here is the flame sensor as requested$$$$$
    Attached Images

Feb 22, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    OK Danny lets try a cheap and quick test. Disconnect the R and W wires at the terminals at the furnace. Then jump the R and W terminals with a piece of wire or jumper cord. Turn the furnace back on and let it run. It should continue to run non stop. The temperature will continue to rise in the home but no harm will be done. Stay by the furnace and watch it operate and note any deviation from the constant burner running. After 10-15 minutes of this turn the unit off and report back with exactly what happened.
    I will do it right now. I will get back to you in a few. I feel like I am in the middle of an inside joke with the flame sensor picture (mentioned by KC13) and $$$$$.

Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace fan/blower does not turn on automatically [ 6 Answers ]

I have a furnace, which worked well until today. The furnace fan/blower can be turn on manually (switching to ON position from the thermostat--Maple Chase 9600). However, when the fan switch is switched to AUTO position, and the room temperature is below the setting temperature, the furnace is...

Carrier Weathermaker SX, does not turn on automatically, shuts off [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, We have a Weathermaker SX. Yesterday morning I woke up and it was only 61 degrees. When I shut the heater off and turn it back on, it heats for about 5 minutes and then stops. The same works on the thermostat, when I turn the heat off and on again. Sometimes it comes on one more time...

Changed Thermostat will not automatically turn Furnace on [ 1 Answers ]

We changed our old honeywell thermostat (with mercury) to an updated honeywell thermostat (with no mercury) CT87K. After we changed the thermostat the furnace will not automatically kick on and it actually shut off so we had to hit the reset button. The furnace at times now will turn of if we put...

How can I make Furnace fan automatically turn off when heater turns off? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Thermo Pride OH5-85. There are two manual switches installed next to the unit. One turns on the heater one the fan. I'm unable to find out how to have the heater and fan respond to my thermostat. :confused: Currently if the manual fan switch is on and the manual heater switch is on...

View more questions Search