Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tom Dooley Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Maximum distance from sink to p trap
    Hi,

What should the maximum distance be from the bottom of the sink to the p trap. If I stay within this distance is there any problem installing a p trap below floor level? I want to do this because of space limitations when installing a pedestal type sink.

Thanks,
    Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 19, 2009, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dooley View Post
    Hi,

What should the maximum distance be from the bottom of the sink to the p trap. If I stay within this distance is there any problem installing a p trap below floor level? I want to do this because of space limitations when installing a pedestal type sink.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Not too swift a idea when you consider the amount of tailpiece to the trap. Hair, grease and all sorts of nasty smelly bacteria that's able to build up in a tailpiece that long. Would you have room for a bottle trap,(see image) set at the correct height ? Let me know, another Tom

Jan 19, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Not too swift a idea when you consider the amount of tailpiece to the trap. Hair, grease and all sorts of nasty smelly bacteria that's able to build up in a tailpiece that long. Would you have room for a bottle trap,(see image) set at the correct height ? Let me know, another Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your help. Being a green horn at plumbing, I wasn't even aware of bottle traps. It's hard to tell from looking at the picture how big the bottle trap is... can you help me? Any idea of their cost? Otherwise, it looks promising.
    I have in the meantime talked to a plumber who said you can legally go 30" from sink to P trap, but like you say, perhaps this is not a good idea. Can anyone verify the 30" distance.

Thx,
    Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 10:49 PM

That trap can be purchase in Home Depot for about $30.00. You should be able to install trap in ped-lav leg as most of ped-lavs have opening for anyway. Why do you want to put it under floor?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Hi Tom:

Milo asked, "why do you wanna put it under the floor"? I'm wondering the same thing...

I'm also wondering if you are planning to VENT this sink? If so, then the vent should be in the wall... above the trap.

If you put the trap under the floor then the vent must take off above that trap and then run upstairs anyway, so why not just connect into the waste pipe ABOVE THE FLOOR? Then, run the 1.5" vent and connect into the 2" toilet vent or run upstairs into attic and connect up there to a 2" or larger vent or penentrate the roof by itself full size 2".

You may also be able to connect into the toilet vent itself (if 2") or the main waste/vent stack as long as no fixtures connect into the pipe above this sink (1/2 bath? ), but would first need to determine if wet venting is allowed in your area (call a plumbing inspector and ask).

With this information I'm figuring you will be best to connect a ptrap or a bottle trap UPSTAIRS as the waste/vent pipe needs to run past the sink anyway and a shorter tailpiece equals less odor/grease/hair issues as Tom pointed out... ;)

Let us know if this makes sense.. OK?

MARK

PS: In my area, a tailpiece from sink to ptrap cannot exceed 24"

Jan 20, 2009, 10:57 PM

Hi Mark,

It makes good sense... thanks all, for your help!

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Max. Distance between p-trap and vent stack [ 13 Answers ]

Is there a maximum distance that is allowed between a p-trap for the sink (1 1/2" horizontal pipe) and the vent stack that it drains into (2" or 3" vertical pipe) ? If the distance is more than a couple of feet is it better to put in a separate vent / drain ?

Distance for p-trap above floor and to first tee [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm a new home owner (or should I say owner of a really old pre-owned house). I'm looking to add a washing machine on the second floor in my pantry. I installed the dryer vent, the electrical, and have the rough plumbing pipes running down into the basement ( only the hot/cold water is...

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Vertical distance to trap [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a basement shower. When the house was built 2 years ago, it was pre-roughed, with a plastic cover over the hole where the drain will be. I was surprised after opening up and removing some dirt that the 2" horizontal drain line is so deep - it is 12-1/4 inches from the top of the...

View more questions Search