Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katsvn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Mother rights
    My daughter is 17 with a child and will be 18 in 2 months,can I move out and leave her in my apartment and pay the rent for 2 months with out it being ilegall or chid abandonment
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:05 AM

Why do you need to move? Check with your landlord and make sure they're okay with this. Are you planning on coming back or will your daughter simply sign a new lease in her name only?

Jan 19, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Mothers rights
    Can I legally move out on my child if she will be 18 in 2 months

Jan 19, 2009, 10:10 AM

No I'm not coming back and there's no lease
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 10:15 AM

Don't you like her ? Is that why you want to move out on her. What do you mean exactly ? I can't see where this has anything to do with 'mother's rights'.
    12345p Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 10:17 AM
    I don't really thin you should leave her since she's under 18, you shouldn't have made her free though it might not be your fault
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:18 AM

I think as long as your daughter is okay with you leaving, there shouldn't be an issue with abandonment. I would still talk to your landlord, as I'm not sure how comfortable they are with a minor living by herself.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:29 AM

Is your daughter emancipated and capable of taking care of herself and your grandchild for the next 2 months?
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 12:13 PM

Child abandonment is typically when you leave the child unattended that exposes him/her to risk, danger and/or the child is left without provision for support (food, clothing, shelter, etc) or without means of identification. There's often a no communication provision as well.

What you're talking about is not "child abandonment." I wouldn't worry about it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 08:04 PM

Is a issue legally as to where you are.

In many states merely having a child may emancipate her, in a few, like GA, they can actually move out at 17 ( although you are stilll liable for them)

It is the leaving alone is she in school, who is going to help with the baby and so much more.

Jan 19, 2009, 10:34 PM
    Family problems
    OK I'm reasking this,earlier I wanted to know if I moved out and paid the rent would I be in trouble regarding my 17 almost 18 daughter,I should have mentioned that she has her sons dad living w me for 3 years off and on,paying only 100 for rent once,I've had cops called because they fight,repeatedly,well my prob is;my sons dad was staying w me till this weekend,my daughter took it upon her self to tell him that he is a user and lives off me,long story short ;later that night a fight and cops were called,he left,my daughter will cuss me and anyone out,every time we argue and it could be about the weather she throws him in my face,I should mention that after this weekend he got money and gave me some,my business is not hers regarding him,as I don't do it to her,I work 4 jobs and I'm the only one who does,my old man has ssi,we planned on moving next month in a house,I'm still going too and I won't want to take these freeloaders with,I will leave her my link card for food and some furniture,I also took in a friend I've known 6 yrs and he is here too ,broke and doing not a thing,he was the one my old man fought with,I haven't thrown him out yet,I'm going to leave him too,what can I legally do about this?my daughter doesn't see no wrong in this and as I sit here in my room,where I paid the rent for ,my old man is at his friends sleeping in a cold basement,I love my kid but I have 5 boys to think about,help/
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 19, 2009, 11:09 PM
    Will your daughter be 18 around the time you move? If so, leave them all behind. You are being so used. She doesn't seem to respect you too much. Let everybody get their own lives.
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 19, 2009, 11:11 PM
    And yes, you can go ahead as planned, pay the rent for two months till she is 18 then leave her butt behind! It won't be abandonment when she is 18.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katsvn View Post
    my daughter is 17 with a child and will be 18 in 2 months,can i move out and leave her in my apartment and pay the rent for 2 months with out it being ilegall or chid abandonment

Whose name is on the lease or who has the rental agreement with the landlord? You can't just pay for two months and walk away. You will continue to be responsible for the rent pretty much until the end of time unless the landlord agrees to rent the apartment to your daughter. And if you pay two months and she stays three? You owe the landlord for the last month, also.

And what if she trashes the apartment? You're responsible.

Check the laws in your State to determine what the legal age is before you do anything.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Whose name is on the lease or who has the rental agreement with the landlord? You can't just pay for two months and walk away. You will continue to be responsible for the rent pretty much until the end of time unless the landlord agrees to rent the apartment to your daughter. And if you pay two months and she stays three? You owe the landlord for the last month, also.

And what if she trashes the apartment? You're responsible.

Check the laws in your State to determine what the legal age is before you do anything.
    OP said there was no lease... shame on you for not reading Page 1 ;)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    OP said there was no lease...shame on you for not reading Page 1 ;)

What? I'm supposed to read the whole thread? Otherwise I stand by my guns. Apartment is in other's name. She can't just leave the daughter there... for all the reasons I stated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother wants to give up rights, What to do? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I had a son, he is 3yrs old. It was a messed up situation from the beginning. I did not know of the pregnancy until she was 8 months pregnant. We weren't together when it happened. I had moved on and was with my current fiencee. The first 3 months she did not want me in his life, My...

Legal rights of a mother [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has lost her rights of her son on a temp custody to her mother in law.Can the court pernamently sign him over to her?She has sign temp custody to her.

Mother in law problems does she have rights! [ 1 Answers ]

:( ::mad: :confused: I have problems with my mother in law I can't stand her nomore and my husband agrees with me he can't stand her either. I have done everything I can to please her all the holidays were spend with her and now that I want to spend the thanksgiving with my side of family she gets...

Parental Rights of a Mother [ 9 Answers ]

I know this question has been asked frequently on these boards, but it seems fathers are the ones asking it. Is it possible for a mother to relinquish parental rights to the father of a child, and terminate all contact and support? As far as details, I currently live in NJ, and the child lives...

Surrenerding rights, mother won't appear [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and I are trying to surrender the rights of my 9 year old daughter. She has no idea I am her father and I don't think it is fair to introduce her to me now. For no reason visitation has been denied, repeatedly. After several failure to appears in court, her mother finnaly showed up and...

View more questions Search