Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennifer ellen Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2009, 04:42 AM
    Child won't sleep
    For the past couple of weeks my girl would wake up in the middle of the night screaming like she was in pain or completely terrified.
    She recognized who I was when I picked her up and she would stop crying if I comforted her but if I put her back in her bed she continues to scream.
    I tried to let her cry it out but after 45 min and her gagging and being sick from screaming I couldn't see letting her continue.
    I have tried leaving her small light no lights music everything, I am coming to the end of my paitence now as I am having to sleep in her room on the sofa bed to get her back to sleep until the morning.

Can anyone help or tell me ome tricks that may work for her to get back into her full nights sleep routine.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 03:39 PM

You didn't say how old she is. In our case, when your children woke with night terrors, we let them into our bed and cuddled them for the rest of the night. They slept with us until they felt safe and confident again, and then they moved back to their own beds.

If you woke screaming in the night, what would you want?
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Feb 1, 2009, 12:53 AM

My son is 2 1/2 and wakes one or twice a week with night terrors. But he's still sleeping when he's sitting up screaming, IF I catch it early enough, if I wait, he's totally awake and more upset. I rub his back, lay him back down and he's out again. Is the child's room far from yours so you can't hear her, or do you have a baby monitor still? We still use ours just so I can hear him right away and get in there before he's too upset. Maybe catching it right away and soothing her BEFORE she's unconsolable will help.
    raynarambo Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2009, 03:35 AM
    I am not sure how old your daughter is either. However, I will agree with the other two, probably night terrors. They are what they are and there is nothing you can do to prevent them. You just have to be loving and patient and they usually grow out of them. I would suggest, depending on the age, maybe a special stuffed animal or blanket to sleep with. It helped my daughter and son. Another thing to watch very close which is a medical condition but is much more rare and hard to detect is sleep apnea. This is caused when a child stops breathing in their sleep. My youngest son has it, and is on a moniter for it. He woke up screaming and wouldn't want to go back to bed like my other two, but it wasn't night terrors. I would say start by taking your daughter back to bed with you after she wakes up, if it is sleep apnea you will be able to see it that way, we did. Another issue may be good old growth. Depending on the child, some grow slow and some grow rapidly. If it is rapid growth their legs may cramp in the night. There are lots of reasons children wake up screaming, but most common is night terrors. Like I said it may be easier to pin point depending on your daughters age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat won't let me sleep... HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

Hello :( I need some help and advice on what to do with this situation that Iam passing through with my kitty.. Her name is Blondie and she is one year old-I love her to death but the only thing that bothers me is that she gets extremely wild at night.. My husband and I both have to wake up...

Dog won't sleep [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cocker spaniel puppy.He is just over 1 year old. He is very happy and friendly to everyone but he doesn't sleep at night.He used to sleep but it is these last few months that he has not. He always follows us around the house and is always lying next to my mum. We are getting very annoyed...

21/2 yr old son just won't sleep in his bed [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have allowed our son to fall asleep on our sofa at night while we all watch a bit of TV and relax. Then once he is asleep we would put him in his bed. This has been going on for about a year. Normally he would sleep through the night, but latley he has been getting up and making...

Why won't he sleep with me? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together nearly 3 years, recently he keeps pushing me away when I want sex. He won't let me touch him in a sexual way. I love him but its driving me insane, I've started to doubt myself - feel ugly, unsexy. He always says he loves me and does a lot for me, he admits...

He won't sleep in his own bed! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my son turns 4 in December, since he's been 2 we made his bedroom up, turned his cot into a bed and made it into a right litlle boys room, cars, bob the builder, Anyway when I put him 2 bed I usually read him a story, and he falls asleep in his own bed, but EVERY night around 2-3am, (uk time)...

View more questions Search