Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giamao2005 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Private in data in internet café
    I use internet in an internet café.
    Everybody must download to the same folder and it is not secure to place my data there.
    What I must do to make my data secure.
    Is there any kind of software that ask for password when we want to view a folder that do not require administrator right to install it although administrator can delete it but not able to view it and I can download file directly .
    If there is not software like that, is there any kind of data that I can download file to it and to view data ,you must have password.
    This is important to many internet user.
    Thanks a lot.
    :) :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 09:15 AM
    Unfortunately it's not your network so you most likely are very restricted as to what you can do (install apps, create folders). If you can use WinZip it has a password feature. Other than that you can't expect your data to be secure under any circumstances when you use such a free internet access service.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 31, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Here's an idea for you.
    If you are going to be downloading at an internet café, then rather than saving to the specified folder on the network, save to a removable flash drive instead.
    Gig drives are pretty cheap and freely available.
    That way its very secure as you have it with you ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2006, 10:06 AM
    If the café permits using flash drives (though some may not) then that would be the way to go.

Otherwise NeedKarma's WinZIP suggestion is a possibility, assuming that WinZIP is installed on those PCs.

One other possibility is to lease space on an FTP or WEB server. You can then upload your private files there.
    giamao2005 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 07:26 AM
    In my case, that internet café let you install software that do not need administrator right. Any software supporting this is great.
    :) :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by giamao2005
    In my case, that internet cafe let you install software that do not need administrator right.
    Excellent! Expect keyloggers to be installed that record everything you do and send it through the internet back to the hacker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Need help to convert a 1978 650XS to Café [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings from SF. Need help to convert a 1978 650XS to Café. To begin with, I am trying to find out which gas tank fits to my xs... Hodaka,BSA, Triumph etc... and some advice about converting it into a café would gratly be appreciated. Maybe you have something in you garage that I need? ...

Making a back up of data via internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hope u can help me to find a documentation helping me to make a tele backup. In other way , how to create a virtual server with 2 machines (computers) or more... wich all user can connect to put their backups on this server. On foreground the clients things that they'r saving their...

Software to Track Internet Data Transfer & Usage [ 17 Answers ]

I want to get a free software to manage my ADSL connection at home, which will tell me the amount of data transferred while I am on net, both sent and received. It will also keep monthly records on each time log-in basis, so that I can get my usage data. It should be absolutely a freeware, as I...

Data transmission over the internet [ 1 Answers ]

Is there an international agreement governing the transmission of data and voice over the internet?

View more questions Search