Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vanillaface Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 12:26 AM
    Abandonment and losing faith
    I've gotten to the point where I feel like God has left me, or purposely puts me in situations to knock me down. I've done the whole "think positive live positive" thing, and it only backfired. He gave me what I wanted most in life, and then took it away. I've asked, and didn't receive. I've believed and saw things only get worse.

How can I believe in something that preaches all these promises, but has yet to come through with any of them to any degree?
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Jan 19, 2009, 12:44 AM

OK.. please whoever reads this don't take it offense and freak on on me and call me satan or god hater or whatever. Ok 1. god left you. He picked you up then took it all away. The Bible you are reading says that he doesn't make miracles happen, you do. 2. You asked and didn't receive. I asked for a million dollars fifteen years ago, I'm still broke. 3. things are getting worse... because you are dwelling on it and not living life to the fullest.

So here is my suggestion... Move on. Get some friends. Go play some video games. Go watch movies. Live life rather than waiting around for some "guy in the sky" to answer your questions or thoughts or prayers... even if there is a God, he would not be able to give every person exactly what they wanted to live a perfect life. Things happen... move on... have fun. You only live once
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 05:14 AM

AAj2008 is sort of right, look at all of the followers in the bibe, did Peter retire to a castle on the Red Sea, Did James or Paul have a house full of servants.

Paul was shipwrecked, and sent to prison to put him where God wanted him to be.

And contary to 100 TV preachers, the bible is not a get rich scheme or a way to get what WE want.

It is a guide on how to live our lives. It is a way to treat others, no matter how we are treated.

To be a Christian is often to be hated ( you see that on these boards alot) but you see it all the time, esp in many parts of the world where you can still be killed for being a Christian.

I was at a baptism one day and a young lady came with a suit case, we did not know why, well after she was baptised, she could not go home to her parents ( they were not christians) so she had to give up everything she had to be baptised.

We are to learn to praise and thank God even though things go wrong, that could be a lesson you are learning now. When you ask, the answer is sometimes NO and sometimes NOT YET.

How many generations passed before Moses came, he was a answer to prayer but many never lived to see that promise.
    vanillaface Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 12:02 PM

I'm not asking for a miracle or some fantastic amount of money, it has nothing to do with material things. Instead of being continuously kicked when I'm down, I'd like some hope or something to be positive about.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillaface View Post
    I've gotten to the point where I feel like God has left me, or purposely puts me in situations to knock me down. I've done the whole "think positive live positive" thing, and it only backfired. He gave me what I wanted most in life, and then took it away. I've asked, and didn't recieve. I've believed and saw things only get worse.

How can I believe in something that preaches all these promises, but has yet to come through with any of them to any degree?
    Believe it or not, these are signs of "predestination". If you read the lives of the Saints, you will see that they all went through a dry period where they thought that God had abandoned them.

The reason they are Saints is because they continued to have faith in God through these hard times and remained faithful to the end.

You might want to read about Abraham and Job. God promised Abram that he would be the Father of Nations when Abram was a young man. But God didn't fulfill His promise until Abraham was very old.

Job, of course, was tested by Satan to the point of death. But, although all his suffering was undeserved, Job remained steadfast.

St. John of the Cross comes to mind as an example of a suffering servant who feels abandoned by God but who perseveres.

So, hang in there, you're in good company.

1 Peter 1 7 That the trial of your faith (much more precious than gold which is tried by the fire) may be found unto praise and glory and honour at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

May God bless you,

Sincerely,

De Maria
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillaface View Post
    I'm not asking for a miracle or some fantastic amount of money, it has nothing to do with material things. Instead of being continuously kicked when I'm down, I'd like some hope or something to be positive about.
    God will not place on you any burden that he has not already taken on himself. The burdens we have are sometimes tests, other times they are given to us for learning and understanding. It is never an easy road we (Christians) travel, but the rewards are great in the Kingdom. Name one of the Apostles that lived a long and peaceful life? NONE! All died early and mostly violent deaths for their faith. How would like to be beheaded, or crucified, or boiled in oil, or stoned to death?
    Yes, life sometimes is harsh. But we need to remember who our creator is and when things get tough, use the tools that God has already provided us to go through the ordeal. Friends, our church, the bible are all tools that we have at our disposal to help and guide us.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 12:20 PM
    vanillaface,
    I must agree with both De Maria and Fr Chuck.
    Don't abandon hope, hang in there, persevere.
    It may take awhile for thing to turn around for you bur in the mean time you must try to live life as best you can. Manage to have some joy in life some way perhaps with well chosen new friends or going to different places.
    Use your imagination with some intestinal fortitude.
    I personally pray that things will work out well for you.
    You have friends here so come back often.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 12:52 PM

Vanillaface,

James 1:2-3 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing [this], that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

James 1:4 But let patience have [her] perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Jesus does not like faith tossed around.. Why? Because it is doubt within the mind and heart..

James 1:6-7 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

Double minded, is aweakness and is a deception planted by satan .It is time to say enough is enough..God does not want bad things for His children.. Your mind in weakness will reap within your heart that which you permit it. YOUR CHOICE!

INSTEAD.. acknowledge God's hand and will.. do not doubt ! For God does not forsake us..

James 1:8 A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.

Have you forsaken God? Have you turned your back on Him? You have fallen to temptations and must Rejoice ..Knowing that faith works paitience.

REJOICE.. Enough is Enough.. .. believe in God.

Go forward, and don't look back..
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 07:36 PM
    sndbay
    That is some good advice.
    Fred
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Let me see let me share some of my blessings of the last couple years.

1. Lost my dream job in the medical field
    2. went broke and lost my large home in the country
    3. Lost my wife ** she left me after the above happened.
    4. ended up selling everything that was left and moving
    5. Discovered facture of a vert in back that has been a issue this year
    6. Son sentenced to Federal Prison

So what is the blessings, well I have learned not to rely and need physcial things. I have learned who real friends are and can be
    And I have found new hope and new vision.

We have to look past the present and move on to the future, the worst and harder things get, the harder we have to work to stay close to God

Often it is only when we are down that we find a better closeness to Christ
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Fr_Chuck,
    I'm very disturbed that you have had much troubles in recent times.
    I admire how you've handled then and how you look to the future.
    My prayers are with and for you.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 19, 2009, 10:38 PM
    I too feel the same way sometimes vanillaface, But I'am learning so much about my own strength throughout the whole ordeal. It may be that God has something greater in line for you, so in order to give that, you need to learn some things and he needs to take away some things in your life to provide for the new. The greatest test to all of this is your faith in him. Faith is easy to have when everything in your life is going well, and people tend to get a little laxed on prayer and thanks. But when things are not so great, it's amazing how much we talk with God then! Keep faith with God no matter how hard it seems. Gold is refined through fire. It gets purer if it is real gold. Best wishes and you are not alone.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:57 PM
    nike 1,
    Yes that is true.
    vanillaface is not alone.
    A great many people are in what seems to be a sinking boat.
    It is as if God is telling the nation that it is time to get back to a strong honest work ethic, buy only what you need and can afford, be generous even when it hurts, be charitable in many ways, Love others as we do ourselves and maybe a bit more.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 19, 2009, 11:02 PM
    Absolutely Fred, it's time this country learns how much we need God before we befall the fate of Sodom and Gamora.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 11:19 PM
    nike 1
    Agreed.
    It took thousands of years for the world to finally find where those towns once were.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Job - Losing House - Losing Relationship! [ 5 Answers ]

My b/f & I were OK until a year ago when he lost his very lucatrive job. We've used all our savings & we've maxed our cc's to no avail. We're behind on the house we live in in which he's the only one on mtg. this house has no equity. We have another house under both our names in another state...

Losing my faith [ 149 Answers ]

All my life, I've questioned things, never thought id question god though, I just don't believe, I kind of don't want to believe, but its depressing, hearing about hell, because I know I'm going to die young, what can I do, to get back mt faith

Losing relationship of 6 years / Losing 2 Houses [ 5 Answers ]

I've been with my b/f for over 6 years. About 2 years ago I moved to another state with him to try to make things work better for us, financially & personal. He lost a very lucrative job about a year ago (the co. closed down) which paid for a house we both are on mtg & he also paid for another...

Losing faith [ 18 Answers ]

I've been incredibly depressed for the past week on and off. I have also been thinking a lot about God and it isn't making sense to me. Now I've been a christian my whole life and all the sudden I feel like my faith is being tested. I just feel as though I need a sign from God, I know it's selfish...

View more questions Search