Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shandalove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 10:24 PM
    How do I get my dog from peeing in the house
    I have three male dogs 2 I have for yrs 1 I just found 4month ago the 1 I just found is a male dotson he won't stop peeing in my house I will take him out side for 30mins then when he comes back in he pees in the house he go's out side my other dog never peeped in my house what can I do
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Jan 18, 2009, 10:40 PM

Well when he urinates or poops in the house the dog should first be scolded for the incident.. then you should take some of the urine or poop outside and let the dog see that it is outside and that this is its poop or pee.. after smelling or realizing it.. the dog gets a treat... repeat if needed.. when the dog then goes outside to potty it should be immediately rewarded...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shandalove View Post
    i have three male dogs 2 i have for yrs 1 i just found 4month ago the 1 i just found is a male dotson he wont stop peeing in my house i will take him out side for 30mins then when he comes back in he pees in the house he go's out side my other dog never peeped in my house what can i do

Has a Vet checked him over to make sure he's healthy? And is he marking his territory?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aaj2008 View Post
    well when he urinates or poops in the house the dog should first be scolded for the incident..then you should take some of the urine or poop outside and let the dog see that it is outside and that this is its poop or pee..after smelling or realizing it..the dog gets a treat...repeat if needed..when the dog then goes outside to potty it should be immediately rewarded...
    I agree with everything but the scolding part. Scolding a dog for doing what comes naturally is not the way to go. It's up to you to teach him proper behaviour through repetition, positive reinforcement and praise. Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to dogs. ;)

If you catch him peeing or pooing in the house, clap your hands or make a loud noise, immediately take him outside. Choose a command word like "potty" repeat the word until he does his business, then praise, praise, praise.

Good luck.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:19 AM

As alty said, when you catch your dog going in the house clap your hands or make a loud noise to distract him. This distraction generally makes dogs stop going so you can get him outside to finish his business. Scolding your dog only teaches them fear which can lead to aggression. By teaching your dog commands and what they mean you can avoid this.
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Jan 28, 2009, 10:17 PM

By scolding I didn't mean beating the hell out of your dog.. I meant negative reinforcement... sorry for my poor selection choice of words that everyone on this site seems to nit pick at
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 06:38 AM
    by scolding i didnt mean beating the hell out of your dog..i meant negative reinforcement...sorry for my poor selection choice of words that everyone on this site seems to nit pick at

I see no nit picking here - I see people who don't agree with you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 10:26 AM
    by scolding i didnt mean beating the hell out of your dog..i meant negative reinforcement...sorry for my poor selection choice of words that everyone on this site seems to nit pick at
    What do you mean by negative reinforcement?

Dogs don't learn by being yelled at or hit etc. Dogs sense attitude, need positive reinforcement to learn what is expected of them.

Most people think that rubbing a dogs nose in his urine or poo is the way to go, after all that's what people did a long time ago, and it worked. Yes, it does work, by instilling fear in your dog. A fearful dog is not a good companion.

Think about it. We are all born as infants. As infants we cannot use the bathroom, we need diapers until we're old enough to walk, and feel when we have to go to the potty. Now, how do most parents toilet train their kids? Do the take off the dirty diaper, rub the babies nose in it, yell and hope that it will learn? I'm sure that technique would work, but does that mean it's okay? Of course not. When potty training a child we use positive reinforcement, repitition, praise, and patience. It's the same with dogs.

A dog does not know that it's bad to go in the house, it needs to be taught to go outside. Sometimes it can take a few days, other times it can take weeks, even months. It depends on the dog and the owner.

Negative reinforcement is the easy way out, and you're not training your dog when you do it, you're only making your dog afraid to do what comes naturally. Most times these are the dogs that later on will start to pee and poo in the house, even if they've been trained for years. Why? Because they never learned proper behaviour.

That's not nit picking, that's disagreeing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 5 yr old dog is peeing in the house! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr old jack russelXminitaure american eskimo. He has been peeing in the house. This has been going on for about the last 2 months. At first we thought that it was just an "accident", but the accidents seem to be ocurring more and more. The pee is never in the same place it is in...

Dog peeing in the house. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a dog he's about 1 1/2 years old. German shepard mix he's about 40 pounds. Hes been peeing in the house a lot. We just moved a few weeks ago so I'm sure that not helping but he was doing this before to. I know its not we aren't letting him out he goes outside AT LEAST 4 times a day. I'm...

2 yr. Old Dog is peeing all over the house [ 2 Answers ]

I keep finding places all through the house where my 2 yr old male daschund is peeing. :( Is this a phase they go through? Someone said if you get a male fixed he doesn't do this quite as much Any suggestions?

Pup peeing in house. [ 2 Answers ]

okay, I thought that I was doing the correct thing to help my puppy learn that outside is THE place to go. I watch him carefully, and if he starts to look a little apprehensive, I put him on his leash, and take him to his spot, and tell him, "go potty", and when he does, I always praise him with a...

He's peeing in my house [ 2 Answers ]

My dog oreo is 2yrs now ,he is part lab and dautson, the problem is he is fully house trained,but now chooses to pee in th house, on my daughters toys etc, what is the problem.:confused:

View more questions Search